Come join the City of Long Beach! Our Community Recreation Services Bureau, in the Department of Parks, Recreation and Marine, is seeking amazing Recreation Program Leaders to assist with a wide range of programs at our many beautiful parks.
About Job FairsThe job fairs will include information on a wide range of PRM programs that are currently hiring or will start hiring soon within the Community Recreation Services Bureau. These programs include Day Camps, Youth Sports, Older Adults, Teens, Mobile Recreation, Virtual Recreation, and Aquatics.
Applications will also be available at the job fairs. Those interested in job opportunities are encouraged to come by and meet PRM supervisors and staff and learn what a day in the life of a Long Beach Recreation Leader is like.
Employment opportunities for Ages 16+
Come learn about our part-time job opportunities in Recreation!
RECREATION PROGRAM LEADERS
(RECREATION LEADER SPECIALIST III, IV, N/C)
RECREATION LEADER SPECIALIST III – $ 15.65 / hour
RECREATION LEADER SPECIALIST IV – $ 16.16/ hour
RECREATION LEADER SPECIALIST V – $ 16.89 / hour
The Department of Parks, Recreation and Marine is a nationally recognized and award-winning organization with 1,100 full-time/part time staff and a budget of $58 million. The Department oversees facilities and programs that reflect the needs and interests of a culturally diverse community, including: 170 parks with more than 3,200 acres devoted to open space and recreation, 27 community centers, 3 public pools, 6 miles of beaches, and 3 marinas.
The Department provides free and fee-based recreational programs and leisure opportunities, both self-directed and organized, for people of all ages and cultures. Youth programs include free youth sports for ages 5 to 14 serving nearly 10,000 participants annually, summer and vacation day camps, 2,100 recreational and educational classes, sailing and aquatics instruction, teen center activities, skateboarding opportunities, and supervised afterschool and weekend activities at parks and schools. In addition, approximately 12,000 youth participate in non-Department sports leagues that utilize park facilities.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES
- Design, plan, and implement various program activities;
- Participate with children of various ages during all activities;
- Attend all mandatory staff meetings and in-service and training sessions;
- Ensure the health, safety and well being of the children in your care at all times and abide by current health and safety protocols;
- Adhere to the department dress code by maintaining a neat and clean personal appearance;
- Implement the department and site administrative and record keeping policies and procedures;
- Perform all other assigned duties as requested by the lead staff and/or supervisor.
REQUIREMENTS TO FILE
This position is open to all candidates who meet the following minimum qualifications:
- Must be at least 16 years of age (if under 18, must have a valid permit to work);
- Must have access to reliable transportation to and from work;
- Be willing to work a flexible schedule and assist various programs at various park locations;
- Be able to relate well to children, parents and staff (school and agency);
- Be able and willing to adapt to a changing environment;
- Experience in recreation programs, child care, sports, and/or other related areas is desirable.
The City of Long Beach intends to provide reasonable accommodations in accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990. If special accommodation is desired or if you would like to request this information in an alternative format, please call (562) 570-3188. In support of the City's Language Access Policy, bilingual skills (Spanish, Khmer and/or Tagalog) are desirable for positions interacting with the public. The City of Long Beach is an Equal Opportunity Employer and values diversity at all levels of the organization.
For technical issues with your application, please call (877) 204-4442.