LAW ENFORCEMENT INTERNSHIP PROGRAM
The Long Beach Police Department offers a limited number of internships each year. College students who must complete an internship as part of their academic requirements and/or who wish to pursue a career in law enforcement are invited to apply for the non-paid internship positions.
The number of applicants oftentimes exceeds the number of internship opportunities available and preference is given to students in the Long Beach area.
Benefits Available to Intern
Although this is an unpaid internship that does not lead to paid employment or include employee benefits, students and recent graduates are offered an excellent opportunity to:
- Build resumes and explore career options
- Apply academic skills and knowledge to the workplace
- Fulfill college/university internship requirements
- Network with professionals who are dedicated to their community and field of expertise
- Intern with one of the premiere employers in the region
- Be a current college student or recent college graduate with a focus in Criminal Justice
- Pass a comprehensive criminal background check
- Have reliable transportation
- Commit to a minimum of 130 hours within the semester session
- Be available to work 4-8 hour shifts two or three days during the week, anytime between the hours of 8:30 a.m. to 11:30 p.m.
Complete the Internship Program Application & Interest Form.
Applications will need to be submitted no later than four months ahead of the start of the semester to allow for adequate time for selection, background investigation, and orientation/onboarding.
Applications will be thoroughly reviewed, and the most qualified candidates will be invited to participate in a pre-selection interview.
Applicants selected to move forward to interview must submit all required documents to LBPDVolunteer@longbeach.gov, as follows:
- Transcripts (unofficial or official scanned copies)
- Copy of college diploma and/or any obtained certificates, where applicable
Incomplete submissions will disqualify candidates to move forward in the process. Those selected will be notified for onboarding and orientation.
Please contact Summer Smith, Volunteer Coordinator, at LBPDVolunteer@longbeach.gov or 562-570-5299.