Bike Share For All Provides $5 Annual MembershipsRelease Date: 2023-08-09
The City of Long Beach has launched the Bike Share For All (BSFA) Program, which provides Long Beach Bike Share memberships to eligible applicants for an affordable $5 annual fee. The BSFA program allows more people to take advantage of the City’s existing bike share system as a convenient, active, and zero-emission way to travel.
The BSFA program is open to individuals who are 18 years and older who live, work, or attend school in Long Beach with proof of low-income status. Applicants can upload paperwork showing enrollment in a qualifying benefits program such as Long Beach Utility Assistance, Medi-Cal/Medicaid, SNAP/EBT/CalFresh, or other public assistance programs. A full list of eligible program documentation can be found below. The application is available here. Those wishing to pay using cash can do so via appointment at the GoActiveLB Hub in Downtown Long Beach, located at 223 E. First Street. More information about Bike Share For All, including answers to frequently asked questions, can be found here.
Launched in 2016, Long Beach Bike Share is a City-owned program providing residents and visitors with access to a network of more than 800 bikes deployed across nearly 100 docking stations. Users can sign up for either a monthly or annual membership or pay an hourly fee. Users can locate and borrow a bike by using the Social Bicycles (SoBi) app, and BSFA members without smartphones can also receive RFID cards, available upon request during the application process. Long Beach offers more than 150 miles of bicycle-friendly infrastructure, including bike paths, bicycle boulevards and separated bike lanes. More information about Long Beach Bike Share is available here.
Eligible applicants can use documents showing active enrollment in any of the following benefits programs:
- Affordable Connectivity Program (ACP)
- Cal Grants/State Financial Aid
- California Alternate Rates for Energy (CARE) Program
- Head Start Program
- Housing Choice Voucher Program (Section 8)
- Lifeline Program
- Long Beach Utility Assistance
- National School Lunch Program (NSLP)
- Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI) Program
- Special Supplemental Nutrition Program for Women, Infants, and Children (WIC)
- Supplemental Security Income (SSI) Program
- Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP)/CalFresh/ Electronic Benefits Transfer (EBT)
- Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF) Program
- Veterans Pension and Survivors Benefit
Bike Share For All is made possible with funding from the Long Beach Recovery Act, a plan to fund economic and public health initiatives for Long Beach residents, workers and businesses critically impacted by the COVID-19 pandemic. Additional information about the Long Beach Recovery Act is available at longbeach.gov/recovery.