Black Infant Health Program (BIH)
Black Infant Health Swag Bag Social
Friday, February 14th, 2020
3:00 p.m. - 6:00 p.m.
DID YOU KNOW?
Black babies in America die at more than twice the rate of babies from all other populations during their first year of life because they are born too soon and are too small. Likewise, more African American women die during pregnancy and childbirth than any other ethnic group. Evidence suggests that negative birth outcomes of African American women may be linked to chronic stress associated with social factors including racial discrimination.
OUR MISSION STATEMENT
The Long Beach Black Infant Health Program aims to address the problem of poor birth outcomes affecting African American women and their infants by encouraging a commitment to self-love and healthy living through our group intervention and individual client services. Our goal is to increase healthy birth outcomes and ultimately improve survival rates for African American infants and mothers.
ABOUT THE BLACK INFANT HEALTH (BIH) PROJECT
The BIH Program uses a group-based approach with individual case management to empower women to make healthy life choices for themselves and their families by building on their strengths. We focus on eliminating factors that contribute to birth disparities by promoting the importance of stress reduction, self-love, self-care, healthy eating, confidence building and increasing social connections.
We honor the unique history and traditions of African American people by presenting information in a culturally affirming manner, from the space where groups are held to the topics discussed. BIH groups offer fun and interesting activities that help women to gain support from one another, learn what to expect while pregnant, nurture and bond with their new babies and receive infant care tips. The two-part group curriculum includes prenatal and postpartum education aimed at ensuring babies are born healthy and grow into healthy children.
FREE SERVICES WE PROVIDE:
- 20 Intimate Group Sessions
- Healthy Meals (at each session)
- Transportation Assistance (to and from group sessions & doctor appointments)
- Incentives and Resources
- Individual Life Planning (to help mom plan for her future)
- Individual Case Management (as needed)
- Health and Family Support Referrals (as needed)
- Support Services from a Public Health Nurse and Social Worker (as needed)
- 10 sessions for pregnant women
- 10 more sessions after baby is born
WE ALSO OFFER WORKSHOPS:
- Child Passenger Safety
- Feminine Hygiene
- Healthy Nutrition
- SIDS/Safe Sleep for Infants
- School Readiness Parent Education
- Stress/Depression Management
To join you have to be:
- African American woman (18 years or older)
- Currently 30 weeks or less pregnant
- Living in or delivering baby in Long Beach