Noise Control Program
The City of Long Beach has a Community Noise Ordinance (Section 8.80.010) to address loud noises that may impact residents, businesses, and visitors. Noises that may exceed noise control standards include (but are not limited to):
- Amplified music from nightclubs
- Loud stereos and TVs
- Leaf blowers
- Air conditioners and other equipment
- Parking lot sweepers
- Delivery noises
- Use of power tools
The Noise Control Program has been established at the Long Beach Department of Health & Human Services in the Enviornmental Health Bureau for enforcement of the Noise Control Ordinance. The following are other
types of noises that are handled in other departments:
- Loud talking, screaming, yelling, doors slamming and vehicle noises are considered as disturbing the peace and are handled by the Police Department:
- To report a noise disturbance which requires an immediate Police response dial 9-1-1.
- To report a non-emergency noise disturbance, please call the Police at (562) 435-6711.
- To report airport noise, please call Airport Noise Abatement (562) 570-2678.
- To report a special events noise, please call the Special Events Complaint Hotline (562) 570-5339.
- Additional departments can be found at When I Should File a Noise Complaint?
For further information, please see How to File a Noise Complaint in the City of Long Beach or call (562) 570-4126. A Noise Complaint Form is available at the Environmental Health Bureau, Room# 220 and may be filled out, mailed, or faxed to (562) 570-4038.
Variances may be granted for exemption from provisions of the Noise Ordinance.
A Noise Variance Application may be submitted for consideration by the City Noise
Control Officer. Information regarding the Noise Variance Permit is indicated along with the application.
For additional information, please see City of Long Beach Municipal Code Chapter 8.80 for the City of Long Beach Noise Ordinance and/or contact our office between the hours of 8:00 AM and 5:00 PM at (562) 570-4132 .