Home » Health » Inspections, Reporting & Forms » Reporting » Noise Control Program

Noise Control Program

The City of Long Beach has a Community Noise Ordinance (Section 8.80.010) to address loud noises that may impact residents, businesses, and visitors. Noises that may exceed noise control
standards include (but are not limited to):

  • Amplified music from nightclubs
  • Loud stereos and TVs
  • Leaf blowers
  • Air conditioners and other equipment
  • Construction
  • Parking lot sweepers
  • Delivery noises
  • Use of power tools

The Noise Control Program has been established at the Long Beach Department of Health & Human
Services in the Enviornmental Health Bureau for enforcement of the Noise Control Ordinance. The following are other types of noises that are handled in other departments:

  • Loud talking, screaming, yelling, doors slamming and vehicle noises are considered as disturbing the peace and are handled by the Police Department:
    • To report a noise disturbance which requires an immediate Police response dial 9-1-1.
    • To report a non-emergency noise disturbance, please call the Police at (562) 435-6711.
  • To report airport noise, please call Airport Noise Abatement (562) 570-2678.
  • To report a special events noise, please call the Special Events Complaint Hotline (562) 570-5339.
  • Additional departments can be found at When I Should File a Noise Complaint?

For further information, please see How to File a Noise Complaint in the City of Long Beach or call our Noise Complaint Hotline at (562) 570-4126. A Noise Complaint Form will be needed and can be completed online, mailed, faxed, or emailed to EnvironmentalHealth@longbeach.gov.

If the noise source continues to occur two weeks after registering the complaint, submit another Noise Complaint Form, mark the box (second complaint) on the form, and submit the completed form to the Enviornmental Health Bureau (as indicated above). Should the noise complaint continue, the necessary steps will be taken as outlined in the How to File a Noise Complaint in the City of Long Beach.

Variances may be granted for exemption from provisions of the Noise Ordinance.
A Noise Variance Application may be submitted for consideration by the City Noise
Control Officer. Information regarding the Noise Variance Permit is indicated along with the application.

For additional information, please see City of Long Beach Municipal Code Chapter 8.80 for the City of Long Beach Noise Ordinance and/or contact our office between the hours of 8:00 AM and 5:00 PM, Monday through Friday, at (562) 570-4132 or email us at EnvironmentalHealth@longbeach.gov.