Dive Into Reading
1,000 Books Before Kindergarten!
Reading with your child is the best way to build a strong foundation for future success. LBPL challenges you to read 1,000 books to your little one before starting kindergarten.
You can read any book as many times as you like to count toward the total of 1,000 books. Any book read aloud during storytime at the library also counts! The rules are simple and the rewards are priceless.
Sign up today to participate in this year-round early literacy program for LBPL's youngest readers.
1. Visit any Long Beach Public Library to register and pick up your book tracker.
2. Color in a bubble in the book tracker for every book you read with your newborn, infant, or toddler.
3. After every 100 books you read, come back to the library for a prize.
4. When you complete 1,000 books, return to the library to receive your final prize.
1,000 books may seem like a lot of books, but let's do the math...
Reading just one book a night means you'll read:
- 365 books in a year
- 730 books in two years
- 1,095 books in three years!
Imagine if you read two books a night? Or three?
Most kids start kindergarten around age 5, so there's plenty of time. You can do this!
Long Beach Public Library will host Dive Into Reading programs at different locations throughout the year.
These programs will include an age-appropriate performer, a workshop for parents, and a Play and Learn session with a local professional to interact with families.
See the 2020 Dive Into Reading Calendar for more information.