Modification of Premises
A licensee shall not make a physical modification of the licensed premises that materially or substantially alters the licensed premises or the use of the licensed premises from the floor plan submitted and approved by the City. A separate request shall be filled out for each license. A new floor plan showing the proposed change to the existing premises must be accompanied with this request.
A Modification of Premises Request is required to do any of the following modifications to a licensed cannabis business:
- Removal, creation, addition, or relocation of the cultivation area/canopy
- Removal, creation, or relocation of a common entryway, doorway, passage, or a means of public entry or exit, when such common entryway, doorway, or passage alters or changes limited-access areas within the permitted premises
- Any other physical modification resulting in material or substantial change in the mode or character of business operation, including but not limited to:
- Modifying manufacturing operations from non-volatile to volatile, or vice versa.
- Modifying distribution activities from Transport Only Distribution to Type 11 Distribution, or vice versa.
- Adding delivery activities to the retail storefront (dispensary) license
Apply for a Modification of Premises
To file for a Modification of Premises, follow the steps below:
Licensee must complete a Modification of Premises Request.
Submit the completed request along with all supporting documents and application fees in person to the Business License Division at City Hall, 411 W. Ocean Blvd., 2nd Floor, Long Beach, CA 90802. Checks should be made payable to the “City of Long Beach”. The city also accepts cash payments.
The Business License Division will review the request and all supplemental documents. It is the goal to have the review complete within 10 days of receipt of the request, however, the review process may extend beyond such timeframe.
The business will be notified once the request has been approved by the Business License Division. Approval does not authorize the business to perform any work without obtaining all City building plan approvals, permits, or other approvals.
The business will be responsible for obtaining all required approvals and permits by contacting the necessary departments. More information regarding department approvals can be found on the Facility Permitting & Inspections page.
In instances where a new business license is warranted, it is the business’s responsibility to request an updated license and pay all necessary fees for the reprinting of the license.
- In addition to local approval for a modification of premises, businesses may also need to apply for a modification of premises from their respective State licensing authority. The State licensing authority may have additional requirements beyond the City’s requirements.
All applications will be deemed abandoned if deficiencies in the application are not corrected within ninety (90) days from notification by the City.