Step 2: Written Examination
THIS STEP IS MANAGED BY THE CIVIL SERVICE DEPARTMENT
We accept scores from either of the following written examinations:
The California POST Entry-Level Law Enforcement Test Battery (PELLETB)
- OR -
NOTE: If you have already received a passing score, the score is valid for up to one year.
P.O.S.T. ENTRY-LEVEL LAW ENFORCEMENT TEST BATTERY (PELLETB)
Qualified applicants will be provided with a testing date. Testing dates will be determined by the Civil Service Department and will be limited to availability. There is no cost to take the PELLETB Exam.
Applicants taking the PELLETB exam must meet the following minimum score:
- T-Score – 45
- Spelling (select the correct spelling of a word from a list of options)
- Vocabulary (select the correct meaning of a word from a list of options)
- Clarity (select the sentence that is most clearly written from a pair of options)
- Reading Comprehension (read a passage and answer questions about the passage's content)
- CLOZE (use contextual clues to complete a passage that contains blanks/missing words)
NATIONAL TESTING NETWORK (NTN) – “FrontLine National Exam”
Applicants must schedule a testing date through nationaltestingnetwork.com. NTN charges a fee to take the FrontLine National examination. NTN offers a practice test for an extra fee.
Applicants taking the written exam with NTN must meet the following minimum score(s):
- Video – 65
- Reading – 70
- Writing – 70
FrontLine National examination consists of:
- Video-based human relations test
- Reading test
- Incident observation and report writing test
A limited number of fee waivers are available through the City of Long Beach, on a first come, first served basis. Proof of financial need is required. Please contact the Civil Service Department to see if you qualify, (562) 570-6201.
NOTE: You do not need to fill out a Personal History Questionnaire (PHQ) or take a Physical Ability Test (PAT) through NTN as these two processes are administered through the Long Beach Police Department at a later date.
Request information from a Long Beach Police Recruiter.
SPEAK WITH A RECRUITER
(Do not call for an emergency response)
EMAIL A RECRUITER:
SCHEDULE A RIDE-ALONG:
Submit a Request Online
Public Safety Building
400 W. Broadway
Long Beach, CA 90802
Follow us on Social Media: