Ride Along Program
RIDE ALONG GUIDELINES
- Observers shall be at least 15 years of age and may participate in the program once in a six-month period
- Authorized observers shall sign a Long Beach Police Department Ride-Along Waiver.
- Observers younger than 18 years of age shall have the waiver signed by their parent or legal guardian.
- Individuals riding in the capacity of observers are under the complete control of the host officer at all times
- Observers shall not participate in any police activity unless directly requested by the officer
- Observers shall not leave the police vehicle while at the scene of any police activity without first obtaining the permission of the host officer
- Observers shall not converse with prisoners, suspects, witnesses, media, or other people contacted on police business unless requested by the officer
- Safety belts must be worn at all times while riding in any police vehicle
- All ride-along applicants will be checked for wants and warrants, and run in the NAMS and DMV systems. Any prior arrest(s) will disqualify the applicant
- The same procedure shall be followed if the applicant is a friend or relative
- Observers shall not interfere with the officer’s activities at any time
- No recording devices, including photographs and video, are permitted to be used by the observer during the ride-along unless pre-approved by the Watch Commander
- Dress attire: a shirt with a collar or a blouse, long pants (jeans are okay), closed toed shoes (no t-shirts, tank tops, shorts, skirts, dresses, or sandals).
- Photo identification is required.
- Social Media: Observers shall not post any information related to the ride along to any social media sites before or during the ride along.
The host officer has the right to terminate the ride along at any time for any reason.