As a precaution, the Ride-Along Program is currently unavailable due to COVID-19 physical distancing restrictions.
- Observers shall be at least 15 years of age and may participate in the program once in a six-month period
- Authorized observers shall sign a Long Beach Police Department Ride-Along Waiver.
- Observers younger than 18 years of age shall have the waiver signed by their parent or legal guardian.
- Individuals riding in the capacity of observers are under the complete control of the host officer at all times
- Observers shall not participate in any police activity unless directly requested by the officer
- Observers shall not leave the police vehicle while at the scene of any police activity without first obtaining the permission of the host officer
- Observers shall not converse with prisoners, suspects, witnesses, media, or other people contacted on police business unless requested by the officer
- Safety belts must be worn at all times while riding in any police vehicle
- All ride-along applicants will be checked for wants and warrants, and run in the NAMS and DMV systems. Any prior arrest(s) will disqualify the applicant
- The same procedure shall be followed if the applicant is a friend or relative
- Observers shall not interfere with the officer’s activities at any time
- No recording devices, including photographs and video, are permitted to be used by the observer during the ride-along unless pre-approved by the Watch Commander
- Dress attire: a shirt with a collar or a blouse, long pants (jeans are okay), closed toed shoes (no t-shirts, tank tops, shorts, skirts, dresses, or sandals).
- Photo identification is required.
- Social Media: Observers shall not post any information related to the ride along to any social media sites before or during the ride along.