ABOUT OCCASIONAL EVENTS
What is an Occasional Event Permit?
An Occasional Event Permit or OEP, is a (1) day permit that allows businesses with an ACTIVE and current business license in good standing to have entertainment on their premises without an existing entertainment license.
An occasional event permit shall not be issued for any premises or location more than twenty-four (24) times within any twelve (12) month period, and events for which occasional event permits are issued must be at least ten (10) days apart. (See Muni Code 5.72.130)
These applications must be submitted no less than 10 business days prior your event to allow time to process your application.
Due to certain specific circumstances, usually related to alcohol requirements and/or fire codes, the city Fire Marshall may conduct a Safety Spot Check or city staff may be required to staff your event.
What is NOT an Occasional Event?
An Occasional Event Permit cannot be issued under the following conditions:
- A business that doesn’t have a valid and current business license.
- Private residents (includes apartments, townhomes, etc.)
- City property (including parks, streets, and all public buildings). Events held on city property require a Special Event Permit.
- Certain specific and unique situations may prohibit the issuance of a permit.
An Occasional Event Permit IS required under the following:
- Amplified or electronically enhanced entertainment.
- Disc Jockeys are considered amplified entertainment.
- The presence of three (3) or more entertainers.
- Business does not have an entertainment license.
An Occasional Event Permit may not be required under the following:
- Ambient Music is any amplified or acoustic low level background music.
- Ambient Music is intended to create an atmosphere and not to entertain.
- Disc Jockeys are NOT considered ambient music.
- Acoustic Music shall not be amplified or electronically enhanced.
- One (1) to two (2) Entertainers only.
- Ambient and acoustic music shall not be audible more than ten (10) feet from any portion of the exterior of the premises
- $102 | Occasional Event Permit Fee
- $130 | Fire Safety Officer Spot Check Fee (if deemed necessary)