The City, in cooperation with Caltrans, is proposing to replace the Shoemaker Bridge (West Shoreline Drive) in the City of Long Beach, California. The Shoemaker Bridge Replacement Project (proposed project) is an Early Action Project of the Interstate 710 (I-710) Corridor Improvement Project and is located at the southern end of I-710 in the City of Long Beach and is bisected by the Los Angeles River.
The purpose of the proposed project is to:
- Improve existing traffic safety and operations;
- Increase multi-modal connectivity within the project limits and surrounding area;
- Enhance Complete Streets elements by providing bicycle, pedestrian, and streetscape improvements on major thoroughfares; and,
- Address non-standard features and design deficiencies.
Three Alternatives are being evaluated as part of the proposed project:
- A No Build Alternative.
- Replace the existing Shoemaker Bridge over the Los Angeles River with a new bridge located just south of the existing bridge. Re-purpose the existing bridge for non-motorized transportation and recreational use.
- Replace the existing Shoemaker Bridge over the Los Angeles River with a new bridge located just south of the existing bridge. Remove the existing bridge.
Alternatives 2 and 3 will include the evaluation of design options for a roundabout or a “Y” intersection at the easterly end of the bridge.