2024 Black History Month
The Long Beach Public Library is proud to announce the launch of "Our History, Our Future," a month-long celebration dedicated to honoring and showcasing the richness of Black history and culture. These vibrant events will feature a series of thought-provoking and inspiring activities that highlight Black love, self-identity, self-care, art, and joy within the Black community.
The festivities will commence on Saturday, Feb. 3, with a dynamic “Black Excellence Professional Development Day” taking place at Billie Jean King Main Library (200 W. Broadway) from 1 to 4 PM. The professional development day, tailored for Black professionals, will include a networking hour, live music, resume-building sessions, and professional headshot opportunities. This event aims to foster connections, provide valuable career insights, and empower Black professionals in their respective fields.
As the month unfolds with a variety of events for all ages – including special performances by the amazing CHAZZ, a musical safari with African djembe drums, and Special Storytime with guest author C.M. Harris – the celebration will reach its pinnacle with a Black Voices Open Mic event on Saturday, Feb. 24 from 12 to 3 PM at Burnett Neighborhood Library (560 E. Hill St. 90806). All ages are welcome to join this inclusive gathering, where attendees can listen to Black artists share their experiences, express their creativity, and celebrate the richness of Black culture. The open mic event will feature talented poets and provide a platform for individuals to share their own stories, fostering a sense of community and unity.
Educational Activities and Games
Enjoy BHM activities at the Library or at home with friends and family. Visit any Long Beach Public Library and ask for a free print out or download the PDFs.
- BHM Bingo for 5 players (PDF)
- BHM Bingo for 20 players (PDF)
- BHM Quiltmaking (PDF)
- BHM Jeopardy (PDF)
- BHM Coloring Pages (PDF)
Special Edition Buttons
When you attend our Black History Month (BHM) events, each LBPL location will give away one of our BHM collectible buttons. Visit a program at each of our locations to collect all 6 buttons.
Search BHM2024 in the library catalog to check out items from the booklist!
- I’m From by Gary R. Gray Jr.
- When I Wrap My Hair by Shauntay Grant
- Big by Vashti Harrison
- The Coolest Beard by Betty Trekle
- Curlfriends: New In Town by Sharee Miller
- Conjure Island by Eden Royce
- Alex Wise vs. The End of the World by Terry J. Benton-Walker
- Major Taylor: World Cycling Champion by Charles R. Smith Jr.
- The Artivist by Nikkolas Smith
- Nigeria Jones by Ibi Zoboi
- Bright Red Fruit by Safia Elhilo
- The King Is Dead by Benjamin Dean
- All These Sunken Souls edited by Circe Moskowitz
- Delicious Monsters by Liselle Sambury
- A Crown So Cursed by L.L. McKinney
- Chaos Theory by Nic Stone
- Highly Suspicious and Unfairly Cute by Talia Hibbert
- Vinyl Moon by Mahogany L. Browne
- Ain’t Burned All the Bright by Jason Reynolds
- The Library of the Dead by T.L. Huchu
- Promise Boys by Nick Brooks
- We Are A Haunting by Tyriek White
- All The Sinners Bleed by S.A. Cosby
- A Love Song for Ricki Wilde by Tia Williams
- Lone Women by Victor Lavalle
- No Gods, No Monsters by Cadwell Turbnull
- Maame by Jessica George
- Harlem Shuffle by Colson Whitehead
- Why Fathers Cry at Night by Kwame Alexander
- Ordinary Notes by Christina Sharpe
- How To Say Babylon by Safiya Sinclair
- The Black West by Gabriela Hasbun
- Gullah Geechee Home Cooking by Emily Meggett
Cultural programming is made possible by the generous support of the Long Beach Public Library Foundation.