Long Beach Public Library (LBPL) cards are free for all California residents. Get your library card today!
Full Access cardholders may borrow up to 50 items at a time, with a maximum of:
- 15 DVDs
- 25 CDs
- 25 audiobooks
- up to 3 items on a specific subject
- 1 Chromebook
- 1 MiFi device
- 1 CA State Parks pass
|Material||Check Out Period|
|Books and Magazines||21 days|
|eBooks and eAudiobooks||7, 14, 21 days|
|Music CDs||21 days|
|Student MiFi||21 days|
|Full Access MiFi||21 days|
|CA State Parks Pass||7 days|
Library fines are based on the type of material and are charged 7 days a week.
|Items placed on hold and NOT picked up||$1 per item|
|Adult Materials||35¢ per item, per day|
|Children's and Teen Materials||15¢ per item, per day|
|DVDs||$1 per item, per day|
See a complete list of Library Services fees and charges.
- I accept responsibility for all items checked out on my card.
- I agree to pay for any items lost or damaged, fees and fines.
- I agree to report a lost or stolen card immediately and understand that I am responsible for all items on the card until it is reported lost to the Library.
- I agree to inform the Library of any changes to my contact information.
- I understand that my library card is for my use only and is not to be used by others, even my family.
- I understand that I must have my library card to borrow materials, access my record or use the Internet.
- I agree to follow all library policies and the Library's Rules of Conduct.
Important Information for Parents and Guardians
The only exception is when the parent listed on a child's account checks out materials using that child's card. This is allowed because the parent listed is the responsible party for materials checked out on the child's card.
The reading and viewing activities of youth under 18 are the responsibility of parents and guardians. The Library does not assume that responsibility.
Managing Your Library Account
You can log in from Encore. Find the login link in the upper right hand side of the catalog.
- Barcode: Enter the number on the back of your library card (starting with 23090). Be sure to enter your barcode without spaces.
- Enter your PIN: This is usually a 4 digit number that you chose when you signed up for a library card. If you know your PIN, you can change it once you're logged in. If you did not create a PIN when you got your card, try the last 4 digits of your home phone number. If you do not know your PIN, you can visit any LBPL location to reset your PIN or you can reset your pin at Forgot your PIN.
- Log in and find the material you'd like to place on hold.
- Click on the Request It button.
- Select which Long Beach Public Library location you'd like to send the item to. Click the Submit button.
- To confirm that your hold was placed, click on My Account (upper right hand corner). Your hold will be displayed on the Main page.
- You can also change or cancel your holds from this same screen. For more information, please ask a Librarian for help. Please note: There is a fee of $1.00 for holds not picked up.
- Log in to your account.
- Place a hold on the title you want, then click on My Account.
- Your holds will be listed on your main Account/Record page.
- Under status, you can see what number you are in line for that particular title. For example: 3 of 4 holds.
- The catalog will also show the total number of holds on a particular title before you place a hold.
Sometimes, you want to freeze a hold and then unfreeze it later. For example, if you're going on vacation for a month, you can freeze all of your holds while you're gone and then unfreeze them when you return. This ensures that you won't miss your requests.
To freeze a hold:
- Log in to your account.
- From your list of holds, click the Freeze checkbox on the right, next to the item(s) you want to freeze (see sample image below).
- Click the Update List button at the top or bottom of your list.
- You'll see red text that states: The following hold(s) will be cancelled or updated, would you like to proceed? Click Yes.
- Your hold is now frozen.
- The process is the same for un-freezing holds. Simply un-check the Freeze holds checkbox and be sure to Update List and Click Yes.
Sign up for email notifications and we'll send you a reminder when it's time to return or renew library materials and when your holds are ready to be picked up.
- Log in to your Library account
- Click My Account and then click Edit Account.
- Enter your email address and click Submit. Your email address is used for library purposes only.
Add LBPL_Notices@lbpl.org to your email address book and safe senders list to ensure notifications are delivered to your inbox:
Check with your email provider to be sure they accept messages from the address above.
- Log in to your account.
- You should then see your name in the upper right hand corner as: Welcome Your Name.
- Do a search for the title you want to add to your list.
- Once you've found a title, click on the Add to Cart button, just to the right of the Request It button.
- Repeat for a couple more titles, if you'd like. Don't take too long because the cart will eventually time out, but you should have enough time to add your titles.
- Once you're ready, click on the My Cart link at the upper right, right next to your name.
- You'll see the books in your cart. Over towards the right hand side of the page, below the LBPL logo, you'll see My Lists: Create New List.
- Click Create New List (the first time you make a list).
- A popup window will open. Enter a name and short description for your list. Ex: Future Reads, books to request later.
- Click OK.
- You'll get a message like this: Created new list named Future Reads with 2 records.
- You can continue to add items to your cart and add them to the same list or create a new list.
- To see the list(s) you've created, click on the My Account link on the upper right of the page.
- Click on the My Lists button.
- Your list(s) will be displayed with the number of items on the list in parenthesis next to the name of the list. Click on the list to make changes or place requests in the future.
- Log in to your account.
- Click on the My Reading History button in the middle of your screen.
- Click on the Opt In button.
- A "No Reading History Available" message will display below the Opt In button. The next time you check out library material (books, DVDs, CDs, etc.), you will start building your reading history.
Please note: The default for Library accounts is for the reading history to be off. You must opt in to activate your reading history. Your reading history is private and will only build from the point you opt in. You may delete specific records from your reading history by selecting the checkbox next to the item and clicking the Delete Marked Item button. If you change your mind later, you can always opt out and delete all items from your reading history.
Using the Library Online
- Google Chrome
Browsers that do not support HTML5 standards are not recommended. If you are having trouble with the Library's website, try testing your browser
We recommend these default browser settings:
- Enable Cookies
Bookmark us in your browser for quick and easy access online:
- Library Homepage: http://www.longbeach.gov/library/
- Library Catalog: https://encore.lbpl.org/iii/encore/
- Your Library Account: https://encore.lbpl.org/iii/encore/myaccount
- Digital Library: https://www.longbeach.gov/library/digital-library/
If you experience trouble viewing the Library website, catalog, or your account, try these tips:
- Clear your browser cookies and cache.
- Update your bookmarks and favorite links to be sure you are using the most up to date URL for the Library.
- If you are on a personal device, set your browser's autocomplete, autofill, or password manager feature to remember your Library Card Number and PIN. Not recommended for those using shared or public devices.
- Third-party browser plug-ins, firewall, or antivirus software settings may interfere with the normal use of our website and hosted services. In the event of difficulties, please try disabling or updating those settings for the URLs listed in our Recommended Bookmarks.