The City of Long Beach Environmental Services Bureau (ESB) hosts FREE workshops to teach residents about recycling, waste reduction, composting, and more. To request a workshop presented in Spanish, please email firstname.lastname@example.org. Join us and register for one of our upcoming workshops below.
Workshop TopicsSign up for the EcoGuide e-newsletter to stay informed about future workshop dates.
Learn to Compost - Join us at our beautiful demonstration garden at the Environmental Services Bureau to learn how to turn your food scraps and yard debris into a valuable soil amendment for your garden, landscape, or potted plants. We'll teach you how to set up and maintain a backyard compost bin and vermicompost (worm) bin, see what materials can or cannot be placed in your compost bin, and how to effectively use finished compost at home.
- April 29, 2023, 9:30am - 10am. Presented in English during the City Nature Challenge event, hosted by the Office of Climate Action and Sustainability at Willow Springs Park, 2745 Orange Ave., Long Beach, CA 90806
- May 20, 2023, 10am - 12pm. Presented in English and Spanish at the Houghton Park Community Center, 6301 Myrtle Ave, Long Beach, CA 90805
- June 10, 2023, 6pm-7pm. Presented in Spanish online viz Zoom
- June 15, 2023, 6pm - 7pm. Presented in English online via Zoom
- September 7, 2023, 6pm-7pm. Presented in English online via Zoom
Do-It-Yourself (DIY) Green & Safe Cleaning - Learn how to make non-toxic cleaning supplies with safe, natural ingredients while saving money and reducing waste.
Recycle Right LB- You have questions - we have answers! Join us to learn about the City's curbside recycling program. We'll teach you how recycling works, what can and cannot be recycled, and how to prepare your trash and recyclables. Stick around for Recycling Bingo and giveaways!
Reduce Waste at Home: Kitchen Edition - Learn strategies to reduce food waste and packaging waste in the kitchen.
Reduce Waste at Home: Holiday Edition - October through December are big months for celebrations! Learn strategies to reduce waste during the holiday season, from low-waste Halloween costumes, to reducing food waste and giving gifts sustainably.
- October 4, 2023, 6pm - 7pm. Presented in English and Spanish virtually via Zoom
Past Virtual Workshops
- Composting at Home recording: English | Spanish
- Recycle Right LB recording: English | Spanish
- Do-It-Yourself (DIY) Green & Safe Cleaning recording: English | Spanish
- Reduce Waste at Home: Kitchen Edition recording: English
To view more past workshop recordings, please visit our Facebook.