Recycling Service for Apartment Buildings
How to recycle at an apartment building depends on who the hauler is for your building.
- If you have purple carts for recycling, your building has service through the City of Long Beach and you can follow these Recycling Guidelines. Recycling service is included with all City-serviced accounts.
- If you do not have City service, but there are recycling carts, the name and phone number of the private hauler that services them should be written on the carts and you can contact them for their recycling guidelines.
- If your building does not have recycling service, you will need to contact your apartment manager to have them request recycling service from their service provider.
- If your apartment manager is not able to provide you the service, please contact LBrecycles@longbeach.gov.
Tips To Make Recycling Easier In Your Apartment
- Have a separate, unlined container to collect recyclables next to your interior trash container.
- Place recyclables loose in the recycling cart, never in plastic bags.
- If you do choose to use a bag to collect your recyclables, empty them into the outdoor recycling container and reuse the bag.
- Place the recycling guidelines where they are easy for everyone in the home to see.
- Safely dispose of your household hazardous waste or e-waste at a local drop-off location. Long Beach residents may dispose of their hazardous waste for free at an HHW collection center or collection event.
How To Dispose Of Bulky Items
Dumping bulky items or other waste instead of properly disposing of them is illegal and can create a public health hazard.
- If you have a bulky or oversized item that does not fit into the available refuse or recycling containers, contact your apartment manager so that they can request a special collection pickup for you.
- If you have a City-serviced refuse and recycling account, you may schedule your own special collection.
- City-serviced accounts have access to 4 pickups per year at no additional cost.
- If you have a private hauler service, please contact them to confirm eligibility for a special pick up at no additional cost.