BYO Week with LB ReusesRelease Date: 2023-08-30
The Public Works Department Environmental Services Bureau (ESB) has joined a collaborative community group known as Long Beach Reuses (LB Reuses). LB Reuses’ mission is to reduce single-use plastic and overall waste through engagement, advocacy, and collaboration to activate reuse initiatives.
The LB Reuses coalition is excited to announce the first annual BYO Week in Long Beach from September 29 through October 7! All week long, we will be celebrating local sustainably minded businesses by encouraging the community to BYO (Bring Your Own) and help reduce our environmental footprint and reliance on single-use plastics. During this time, the community can bring their reusable cups, bags, or containers to participating locations and join in on BYO events to collect stamps for fun prizes.
You can download and print a stamp card (printed card is required) via the link below, obtain a card at The Story of Plastic documentary showing at The Aquarium of the Pacific on Friday, September 29th, or pick one up at a participating business listed below!
WAYS TO PARTICIPATE IN BYO WEEK:
1. Attend one or more of the events being hosted by LB Reuses at no cost:
Friday, Sept 29 at 6:30 pm - The Story of Plastic Documentary Showing at the Aquarium of The Pacific. Free admission, space is limited; pre-registration is required.
Reserve a spot here
Saturday, Sept 30 at 10 am - Refill workshop at BYO Long Beach. Free admission, space is limited; pre-registration is required.
Reserve a spot here
Wednesday, Oct 4 from 11 am - 6 pm - Zero Waste Herbal Tea Blending at Green Wisdom. Free admission, space is limited; pre-registration is required.
Reserve a spot here
Thursday, Oct 5 at 6:30 pm - Zero Waste Trivia at Malainey's Bar and Grill in Alamitos Bay. Free admission, space is limited; pre-registration is required.
Reserve a spot here
Saturday, Oct 7 at 11 am - BYO Week Community Beach Cleanup at 72 Place on LB Peninsula.
Sign Up Here
2. Visit one or more of the following businesses that have partnered with us for BYO Week. Don't forget to bring your reusable mug and/or take out container for a stamp:
- Alder & Sage, 366 Cherry Ave. Located in the Bluff Heights neighborhood of Long Beach, Alder & Sage serves Breakfast, Lunch, Happy Hour, and Dinner.
- Art Theatre of Long Beach, 2025 E 4th St. Located in Bluff Heights, the Art Theatre is the perfect place to relax, watch a film, and bring your reusables.
- Black Ring Coffee, 5373 Long Beach Blvd. Located in North Long Beach, Black Ring Coffee serves specialty drinks, coffee, tea, and pastries.
- Bring Your Own Long Beach, three locations below, BYO Long Beach started at the beginning of 2017 with a goal to inspire locals to reduce their trash consumption and focus on reusable alternatives. They supply package-free soaps, body care and home care products, and more!
- East Village Arts District, 431 E 1st Street (Between Linden & Elm)
- Alamitos Bay, 148 N Marina Drive
- Bixby Knolls, Rooted, 3805 Atlantic Avenue
- CaliTea, 4549 E Pacific Coast Highway, Located near Park Estates, stop by and enjoy freshly brewed tea in a reusable.
- Cassidy’s Corner Café LBX, 4150 McGowen St. Unit 7, Located in the Hangar at LBX, Cassidy’s Corner Café offers homemade fresh bagels and coffee.
- Ethikli Sustainable Market, 352 E 4th St., Located in the 4th Street Corridor, Ethikli is on a mission to make ethical, sustainable, and vegan shopping simple and accessible to ALL. To decrease and, eventually, eliminate single-use packaging and food waste.
- Farmers Market, four locations below, stock up on your local produce and products and ask if you can use your reusable. Make sure to stop by the Famers Market booth for a stamp. View their website for hours.
- Tuesday, Bixby Park, 130 Cherry Ave.
- Thursday, Bixby Knolls, Atlantic Ave. & E. 46th St.
- Friday, Downtown, 4th St between Long Beach Blvd and Pine Ave
- Sunday, Long Beach Marina, Parking lot of the Alamitos Bay Marina, on E. Marina Dr. one-quarter mile south of E. 2nd St., just west of PCH
- Green Wisdom, 702 Cedar Ave., Located in North Pine, Green Wisdom Herbal Studies is based in Long Beach, CA, where we are cultivating a community of herbalists.
- Hojas Tea House, 4501 E Carson St #109, Located in Lakewood Village, Hojas Tea House is a beautiful space to sit and enjoy a variety of their teas and more!
- Hummingbird Heart Co. two locations below, Located in Belmont Shore, Hummingbird Heart Co. sustainably creates products and beverages that tell stories and leave a lasting impression.
- 4810 E 2nd Street
- 5421 2nd Street
- Long Beach Bread Lab, with two locations below, this is the place to go for all things fermentation and coffee!
- 2801 Atlantic Ave.
- The Container Cafe in the Civic Center Plaza, 415 W Ocean Blvd.
- Long Beach Community Compost, two locations below, Long Beach Community Compost is helping build healthy soils in the City by collecting food scraps and turning them into nutrient-rich compost. Collect your food scraps in a reusable container and drop them off during their drop-off days on Fridays and Sundays.
- Friday 11 am to 1 pm, Downtown LB Farmers Market, 315-412 The Promenade N
- Sunday 10 am to 11:30 am, 2714 California Ave.
- Miss Priss Cupcakes & Such, 4131 Norse Way, Located in Lakewood Village, stop by and make your day sweeter with Miss Priss Cupcakes & Such! Don't forget your reusable take-out container.
- Recreational Coffee, 237 Long Beach Blvd., Located in Downtown LB, Recreational Coffee focuses on people and coffee! All their products are quality-tested so you can rest assured you are drinking a great cup of coffee.
- Salud, two locations below, Salud Juice strives to bring you the highest quality, certified organic, raw, cold-pressed juice in the area.
- 4918 E 2nd St
- 1944 East 4th Street #5
- Steel Cup Café, 2201 N Lakewood Blvd., Tucked into the Artcraft Manor neighborhood is Steel Cup Cafe, a breakfast and lunch spot that has quickly distinguished itself among other Long Beach favorites
- Wolf's Brew Coffee, 4145 Norse Way., Wolf's Brew is a family-owned coffee shop and art gallery in Lakewood Village.
- Wrigley Coffee, 437 W Willow St., Enjoy a great cup of coffee in this community-oriented location!
3. The final but most important step, send a photo of your stamp card by the end of the day on Sunday, October 8, send a photo of your card to firstname.lastname@example.org for a chance to receive a reusable/sustainable prize!