Development Services

Plumbing Code Questions

Polyethylene gas pipe is not approved for indoor use or for encasement in concrete. Polyethylene gas piping is only approved for exterior underground installation and shall be installed with a corrosion-resistant tracer wire (not less than AWG 14) or tape that extends above grade at both ends.

A plumbing permit is required when any plumbing, gas or drainage piping work or any fixture or water heating or treatment equipment is installed, altered, repaired, or replaced unless specifically exempted by the California Plumbing Code or by City Ordinance.


  • Stopping of leaks in drains, soil, waste or vent pipe.
  • Clearing of stoppages.
  • Repairing of leaks in pipes, valves, or fixtures when such repairs do not involve replacement or rearrangement of pipes, valves, or fixtures.
No. The CPC has not approved the use of mechanical venting.
Yes. There are no exceptions in the CPC that exempt the requirement for strapping electric water heaters.
Yes, there is an exception to this code requirement. If the clay sewer piping is stamped Extra strength vitrified clay pipe, it can remain in place.
No. The two extremes in this equation ( trap 6” above floor + 30” rise, or trap 18” above floor + 18” rise) will both rise to the standard counter top height of 36”. A rise which terminates lower than 36” may become a system overflow point should a stoppage occur on that branch.
Yes. Health and Safety Code Sections 115920 through 115929, also known as the Swimming Pool Safety Act, and the 2007 California Building Code Section 3109.4.4 requires the installation of drowning prevention safety features. For more information, go to the state website for the actual code language: Health and Safety Code Section 115920-115929.
Backflow is water flowing in the opposite direction from its normal flow. When the direction of flow is changed or reversed, contamination and or pollutants can enter the City's drinking water supply.

The following properties are required to install a backflow prevention device. The installation of a backflow device shall be approved by Long Beach Water Department (1800 E. Wardlow Road, Long Beach, CA 90807, 562-570-2419)

  1. Metal plating, cleaning, processing or fabricating facilities
  2. Photo-processing facilities
  3. Laundries and dry cleaners
  4. Commercial car washes
  5. Greenhouses
  6. Hospitals, Clinics and Laboratories (including veterinary hospitals)
  7. Medical and Dental Offices
  8. Funeral Parlors
  9. Food processing plants and meat / fish packers
  10. Dye Plants
  11. Paper processors
  12. Auto Repair Shops
  13. Breweries
  14. Tanneries
  15. Exterminators
  16. Large residential dwellings with water boilers that use rust-inhibitors or other water treatment chemicals, (“treated water boilers”)
  17. Sewage treatment plants or handling facilities
  18. Premises with multiple water service lines;
  19. Premises with roof tanks and elevated storage lines
  20. Canneries
  21. Slaughterhouse / Live Poultry Processing Facilities
  22. Ice Manufacturing Facilities
  23. Printing Facilities
  24. Supermarkets
  25. Premises with large boilers or chemically treated boilers
  26. Warehouses (with toxic chemical storage)
  27. Premises with Commercial or Public Kitchens
  28. Premises with water cooled equipment or chillers
  29. Premises with Groundwater Wells
  30. Premises that Reuse or Recycle Water
  31. Shipyards and Marinas
  32. Schools and Colleges
  33. Food Preparation Facilities
  34. Nursing Homes
  35. Barber Shops & Beauty Salons
  36. Properties with in-ground irrigation sprinklers