- City Officials
Opening a Business
Doing Business With The City
- LBDS Home
- About Us
- Resources & Forms
- Programs & Projects
Housing & Neighborhood Services
Applications & Forms
Mechanical Code Questions
Condensate from air conditioning equipment and cooling coils shall be collected and discharged to an approved plumbing fixture or disposal area. Condensate shall not drain over a public way. Specific requirements are as follows:
- Condensate must be piped to the sanitary system with an indirect connection into a properly trapped and vented plumbing receptor or directly into its tailpiece; or
- Condensate may be piped to an approved drywell. When condensate is terminated at a drywell, it shall be an indirect connection to a properly constructed drywell. Handouts specifying drywell construction requirements are available at the Development Services Center. Drywells for draining large tonnage systems and for commercial and industrial projects must be engineered and included as part of the approved plans for the project.
Additional requirements for condensate piping to consider are as follows:
- Condensate drain lines shall slope not less then 1/8 inch per ft. or 1 percent slope toward the termination and shall be of an approved corrosion resistant material.
- Condensate drain lines shall be sized in accordance with the California Mechanical Code Section 310.3 or as recommended by the equipment manufacturer.
- When a cooling coil is located in an attic or furred space where damage may result from condensate overflow, an additional water tight pan of corrosion resistant metal shall be installed beneath the cooling coil to catch overflow condensate due to a clogged primary condensate drain, or one pan with a standing overflow and separate secondary drain may be provided in lieu of the secondary pan. The secondary drain shall be piped to a discharge location where it can be readily observed outdoors such as over a door or window.
Building & Safety Bureau
|M:||8:00 AM - 4:00 PM|
|T:||8:00 AM - 4:00 PM|
|W:||9:00 AM - 4:00 PM|
|TH:||8:00 AM - 4:00 PM|
|F:||8:00 AM - 4:00 PM|