- City Officials
Opening a Business
Doing Business With The City
- LBDS Home
- About Us
- Schedule Building Inspection
- Building Permits
- Building & Safety Fee Schedule
- Construction Code Resources and Documents
- Construction & Demolition (C&D) Debris Recycling Program
- Deputy Inspector Program
- Online Permits
- Planning Permits
- Planning Fee Schedule
- Project Plan Review and Submittal Service
- Plan Review Status/Permit Status/Records
- Resources & Forms
- Programs & Projects
Housing & Neighborhood Services
Applications & Forms
Construction & Demolition (C&D) Debris Recycling Program
The State of California through its California Green Building Standards Code and as part of the City's commitment to sustainable development requires that certain construction and/or demolition projects divert at least 65% of waste through recycling, salvage, or deconstruction.
Hauling of refuse, recyclable, or organic material within the City of Long Beach is required to be performed by a Permitted Hauler or self-hauled. A list of permitted haulers.
The Construction & Demolition Debris Recycling (C&D) Program, which took effect on November 5, 2007, encourages permit applicants to recycle all C&D materials through a refundable performance deposit. This program also encourages the use of green building techniques in new construction and promotes reuse or salvaging of recyclable materials in demolition, deconstruction, and construction projects.
- List of C&D Compliant Recycle Facilities
- C&D Recycling Program Standards
- Construction & Demolition Recycling Program Brochure
- FORM - Construction & Demolition Management Plan Application
- All newly constructed buildings or structures.
- Residential additions or alterations of existing residential buildings where there is an increase of the building's conditioned area, volume or size.
- Non-residential additions and alterations whenever a building permit is required for work.
- All demolition projects of any valuation.
- How the project will meet the 65% requirement.
- To whom the C&D Deposit shall be returned.
- The name of the property/business owner.
- Please ensure that the Return of Deposit and property/business owner's contact information as shown on the CDMP is correct.
- Applicants are also required to pay a non-refundable administrative review fee of either $210.00 for Residential projects or $415.00 for Commercial/Industrial projects
- Divert the construction material/debris to a certified C&D diversion facility. The program requires applicants to either self-haul or use a waste hauler that is permitted to haul within the City of Long Beach. A list of permitted haulers. The use of any hauler not listed is out of compliance with the C&D Program and may result in the deposit being forfeited.
- Proof (Recycle Receipts) that C&D materials have been taken to a certified C&D diversion facility that processes and recycles mixed debris. For the nearest facility, visit: https://search.earth911.com/ or visit https://dpw.lacounty.gov/epd/CD/cd_attachments/Recycling_Facilities.pdf.
Disclaimer: The City of Long Beach is providing the list of recycle facilities as a service to its residents and not as an endorsement nor a recommendation of any business or service. Residents must make their own investigation on the suitability of the business or service.
- Recycling receipts indicating:
- Origin of recycled material (City of Long Beach or Project Address)
- Tonnage or quantity recycled
- Material type(s)
- Dated on or after the permit issuance date
- At the completion of the project, the applicant shall submit the completed and signed Final Compliance Report along with the Recycle Receipts. All documents must be submitted within 30 days of the completion of the project. Failure to submit documentation will result in a forfeiture of the deposit.
Documentation is due within 30 days of the project completion (Final Inspection). Submit the Final Compliance Report and the appropriate CDMP recycling receipts by email at: email@example.com, or in person at the Development Permit Center located at Long Beach City Hall, 411 W. Ocean Blvd., 2nd Floor, within 30 days of project completion.
- Projects that meet the 65% requirement will receive a full reimbursement of the performance deposit.
- Projects that do not meet the 65% requirement will receive a partial return of their performance deposit in proportion to actual diversion.
NOTE: If required documentation is not received within the prescribed 30 days after final inspection or if it is determined that the diversion of waste was not achieved, the waste diversion deposit shall be forfeited.
Please ensure to inform your permitted hauler or the facility that the material is to be recycled and provide the receipt(s) to the City of Long Beach within 30 days of project completion with total material disposed and diverted, by type, in order to receive performance deposit refund.
For more information regarding this program, contact the Long Beach Development Services Building and Safety Team at (562) 570-7648 or by email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Building and Safety Bureau
|M:||8:00 AM - 4:00 PM|
|T:||8:00 AM - 4:00 PM|
|W:||9:00 AM - 4:00 PM|
|TH:||8:00 AM - 4:00 PM|
|F:||8:00 AM - 4:00 PM|
The Permit Center is closed daily for lunch from Noon to 1 p.m.
Inspection Services Staff
|M:||3:00 PM - 3:30 PM|
|T:||3:00 PM - 3:30 PM|
|W:||3:00 PM - 3:30 PM|
|TH:||3:00 PM - 3:30 PM|
|F:||3:00 PM - 3:30 PM|