Building & Safety Bureau
Working hard to ensure that buildings are safe, sustainable and structurally sound — Bureau staff responded to 10,485 phone calls for plan checks and completed reviews of 1,052 projects. A total of 1,886 permits were issued and 9,982 residential & commercial inspections were conducted.
Code Enforcement Bureau
Striving to maintain and improve the quality of life of neighborhoods and community corridors, the Bureau received 5,397 general property complaints and collected $17,976 in fines & fees for various violations. Also, 4,911 City health order compliance inspections by the Venue Task Force were conducted.
View 1st Quarter Report
Housing & Neighborhood Services Bureau
Helping create a more livable and sustainable community, Bureau staff completed 18 home and commercial improvement rebate projects around the city. There were also 13 neighborhood clean-up events, which resulted in 108 tons of trash and debris collected.
View 1st Quarter Report
Playing an essential role in shaping the city’s future, the Bureau processed and completed 131 historic preservation cases, conducted 31 project approvals and assisted 4,459 customers on the Bureau’s Zoning Information Line. The Bureau also held five community outreach events.
View 1st Quarter Report
- City Officials
Opening a Business
Doing Business With The City
- LBDS Home
- About Us
- Resources & Forms
- Programs & Projects
Housing & Neighborhood Services
Applications & Forms
Welcome to the Long Beach Development Services Department
|View COVID-19 (Coronavirus) Daily Updates
Information & Support: 833-358-5372
Our team offers a variety of programs and services related to planning, building and safety, code enforcement, affordable housing, neighborhood improvement, and historic preservation to help create and maintain more safe, sustainable, and livable neighborhoods. We are committed to providing an exceptional customer experience for residents, property and business owners, builders, investors, and visitors alike and is available to provide guidance about our services to ensure the success of your project.
MODIFIED OPERATIONS DUE TO COVID-19
Due to COVID-19, City Hall, including the Neighborhood Resource Center, remains closed to the public until further notice. However, the Building & Safety Permit Center on the 2nd floor is now open for appointment-only service for Express Permits (minor construction projects). The Department will otherwise continue its modified operations via phone, email, and online for larger types of projects and other services. Please visit the following Bureau pages for more details:
- Building & Safety Bureau Plan pickups, plan submittals, permit issuances, and inspection services. NOTE: The Bureau is experiencing longer than usual processing times and we do anticipate delays. We appreciate your patience. Contact 562-570-PMIT (7648)
- Code Enforcement Bureau Abatement issues, dangerous conditions, exterior inspections, health & safety situations. Contact: 562-570-CODE (2633)
- Housing & Neighborhood Services Bureau Housing resource referrals and processing of loans and rebates. Contact: 562-570-6949
- Planning Bureau Project updates, plan checks, entitlements, and public noticing. Contact: 562-570-6194
For a more comprehensive list of contacts, view the LBDS Contact List.
STAY INFORMED - Program & Service Updates
Application Period for Rental Assistance Program Extended by Another 30 days
Income-eligible tenants who have experienced financial loss or hardship due to COVID-19, as well as landlords, now have until Sunday, July 11, 2021 to apply to receive rental assistance through the Long Beach Emergency Rental Assistance Program (LB-ERAP).
Notice of Funding Availability - Family Affordable Housing Funds
Funds totaling $5,000,000 are now available to be awarded to qualified housing developers.
Now Available: In-Person Appointments for Express Permits
Limited in-person services at the City Hall 2nd Floor Permit Center are now available by appointment only.
COMMUNITY EVENTS & MEETINGS
Meeting schedules are as follows:
- Board of Examiners, Appeals & Condemnation (BEAC): third Monday of each month at 1:30 p.m.
- Cultural Heritage Commission (CHC): last Tuesday of each month at 5 p.m.
- Long Beach Community Investment Co. (LBCIC): every third Wednesday of each month at 4 p.m.
- Planning Commission (PC): every first and third Thursday of each month at 5 p.m.
- Zoning Administrator (ZA): every second and fourth Monday of each month at 2 p.m.
Sign up for LinkLB notices to be notified when agendas are available.
Cancelled: June 28 Zoning Administrator Hearing
Cultural Heritage Commission Meeting
Planning Commission Public Hearing Notice
How We're Doing
Long Beach, CA - The City of Long Beach for the second time is extending by 30 days the deadline for residential landlords and tenants to apply for the Long Beach Emergency Rental Assistance Program (LB-ERAP). The new deadline for the multi-million-dollar program is now July 11, 2021. Previously, the deadline was extended to June 11, 2021.