Architects: Emmet Martin and Lawrence Waller
The "mother church" of Catholicism in Long Beach. Founded at this site in 1902, a succession of structures served the growing congregation. The first church was dedicated in early 1904, and has been relocated to 18th and Cerritos. The second church was destroyed in the earthquake. The current building blends Gothic Revival towers with Mediterranean. The facade mosaic that was created by Italian craftsmen, imported and installed on site in 1953 recalls Byzantine churches. The interior uses lavish materials.