Community Development

Helpful Contacts

The following is a list of helpful phone numbers to assist you with problems and issues you may come across in your neighborhood.

Code Enforcement/Nuisance Issues

  • Barking dogs and stray, vicious or dead animals: Animal Care Services – 562.570.PETS or 562.570.7387
  • Garage/yard sale information or complaints: Yard Sale Hotline – 562.570.YARD or 562.570.9273
  • Neighborhood nuisance: Neighborhood Nuisance Abatement – 562.570.5097
  • Problems with noisy neighbors: Police – 911 or 562.435.6711 
    • You can request to remain anonymous.
  • Report Code violations: Code Enforcement – 562.570.CODE or 562.570.2633.
    •  Violations include: vacant and open buildings and/or substandard building conditions, including broken stairs or handrails or hazardous electrical; tall weeds, discarded furniture or abandoned vehicles on front, rear or side yards; problems with garages including garages full of storage and required parking not available or people living in garages.
  • Report illegally dumped items: Integrated Resources – 562.570.2876
  • Report illegal dumping, including illegal dumping into the storm drains in progress: Police – 911 or 562.435.6711 or Street Operations Division – 562.570.2726
  • Unwanted advertisements (left on doorsteps and cars): Litter Free Long Beach – 562.570.2876

Neighborhood Improvement and Beautification

  • Abandoned shopping cart removal (supermarkets and Target stores only): Shopping Cart Retrieval – 800.252.4613 or
  • Graffiti removal/reporting: Graffiti Hotline – 562.570.2773
  • Neighborhood improvement activities (for neighborhood groups): Neighborhood Resource Center – 562.570.1010
  • Report shoes on power lines: Public Works – 562.570.2726
  • Special trash pick-up of large items (including chairs, couches or refrigerators): Integrated Resources – 562.570.2876
    • Residents with City-provided refuse service are eligible for two free pickups a year. Additional pickups may be scheduled for a fee.

Public Health and Safety

  • Emergency: Police – 911 or 562.435.6711 (non-emergency line)
    • You can request to remain anonymous. You may also call the police to report trash picking and theft from purple recycling containers.
  • Food facility (restaurant or market) concerns, including health violations (inadequate trash receptacles, overcrowding, insect and rodent problems, etc.)Environmental Health – 562.570.4132
  • Potential fire hazards (including car repair that is leaking oil onto the public street): Fire Prevention – 562.570.2563
  • Replace burned-out street lights: Public Works – 562.570.2700
  • Report suspected stolen property: LBPD Roberry Detail – 562.570.7231

Tenant Resources

  • Assistance with filing a small claims action against a property owner: County of Los Angeles, Small Claims Advisor Program – 213.974.9759
  • Assistance with obtaining the name and address of a property owner: Los Angeles County Tax Assessor, located at 1401 Willow St., Signal Hill, CA – 562.256.1701
  • Housing Choice Voucher Program (formerly known as Section 8): Housing Authority – 562.570.6985 or

Whose Job Is It

For additional helpful contacts, view our easy-to-follow “Whose Job Is It?” graphic.

Updated October 2023