Community Development

Plumbing Code Requirements

General Information

  • Permits are required before starting work.
  • Permits become void if the work authorized is not commenced within 180 days of permit issuance, or if the work is suspended or abandoned at any time for a period of 180 days or more after the work first begins.
  • All work must comply with the Uniform Plumbing Code and the Plumbing Regulations of the Long Beach Municipal Code.
  • No work is to be covered or energized without first having been inspected and approved by the City.
  • California licensed contractors
  • Homeowners of one- or two-family dwellings, accessory buildings, and facilities, if:
    • The owner resides or intends to reside in the dwelling and can show proof of residence
    • The mechanical work is performed by the owner
    • The owner signs a statement that they will not employ an individual who is subject to California workers’ compensation laws

When a permit is issued, the signature and identity of the applicant will be verified — a California Driver’s License, a State of California Identification Card, or other positive identification will meet this requirement.

Contractors working in the City of Long Beach are required to have a Long Beach business license. If a contractor has employees, proof of Workers’ Compensation Insurance must be shown when the permit is issued. Contractors working alone may waive this requirement, but they must show a pocket copy of their State Contractor’s License.

  • A plumbing permit must be obtained for each building, but only one permit fee will be required for plumbing to be installed in a dwelling and accessory buildings located on the same lot or premises. This applies if the plumbing is installed at the same time and the accessory building does not contain sleeping quarters or house more than two automobiles.

Exception: A separate plumbing permit will not required for any plumbing work involving a Group R, Division 3, or Group U Occupancy for which a combined permit has been obtained, pursuant to Section 18.12.010.

Your work involves any of the following:

  • The stopping of leaks or the repair of defects in any plumbing, provided that no new materials are used
  • The repair of a water heater other than its vents, provided that the water heater is not disconnected
  • The replacement of exposed traps serving fixtures, provided that approved traps are used and are properly installed
  • The replacement of defective or unapproved ball-cocks in water tanks, provided anti-siphon ball-cocks are used and properly installed
  • The replacement of defective or unapproved faucets serving sinks, lavatories, and bathtubs, provided approved type faucets are used and are properly installed
  • The replacement of an electric water heater, providing the rough plumbing is not altered. Any gas piping less than six feet in length between an approved gas outlet and any gas-fired appliance, provided that any such gas-fired appliance is in the same room as the gas outlet.
Until a plumbing job has been inspected and approved by the building official or an authorized plumbing inspector, you are prohibited from concealing it. The area must be kept open, uncovered, and convenient for inspection.
  • Under-slab or underground drainage and vent piping within a dwelling must be cast-iron soil pipe, approved plastic, or type "DWV" copper tube. Drainage and vent piping installed more than six inches above ground or concrete may be galvanized steel pipe. Drainage piping must slope or grade at least 1/4 inch per foot.
  • The aggregate area of vents through the roof must equal the size of the building drain.
  • Plumbing fixtures must be an approved type and must be properly trapped and vented.

Additional information is available on the following page:
Typical Waste and Vent System