Home » HR » City Employees » Retirement » Reciprocity


CalPERS has an agreement with many California public retirement systems, which allows you to move from one retirement system to the other without loss of benefits. This is called "reciprocity." These reciprocal agreements may allow you to coordinate your benefits between the retirement systems when you retire. Currently, you must leave and enter into employment with a reciprocal public agency within six months to be eligible. For more specific details, including a list of those agencies with reciprocity agreements with CalPERS, please visit the CalPERS page and download Publication 16. Please note there is currently no reciprocity agreements between CalPERS and the Los Angeles Police & Fire Pension (LAFPP).

For further information, review the CalPERS publication "When You Change Retirement Systems", contact CalPERS Member Services at (888) 225-7377 or schedule an appointment at a local CalPERS Regional Office.