Public Health Nursing
Public Health Nurses (PHNs) are committed to serving the public health needs of the people of Long Beach. Prevention of illness and achievement of optimum health for the total population are the goals of Public Health Nursing. The PHN works to achieve these goals by helping individuals determine their health needs and understand the significance of their health problems by planning for health care, teaching positive health practices, and promoting community resource utilization.
The PHN works with individuals, families, and community groups in the home and the community providing assessment, case management, health teaching, counseling, and advocacy.
The Public Health Nurse is a Registered Nurse with a Bachelor's Degree in Nursing and a State of California Public Health Nurse Certificate.
Anyone may request Public Health Nursing services. You must be a Long Beach resident. To make a referral complete the PHN Referral Form.
Public Health Nursing services for individuals and families include:
- Assessments to identify health needs
- Assistance in identifying community resources
- Education to help understand the significance of health problems
- Education on positive health practices
- Planning for healthcare
The Public Health Nurse assists individuals who:
- Are pregnant, or have a new baby
- Want information about family planning
- Want to know more about a baby or a child with health problems
- Want to learn more about positive parenting skills
- Want to know more about preventing lead poisoning in children
- Are exposed to a communicable disease
- Are without a source of medical care
- Need to know more about community resources
- Have questions about the physical or emotional health of any member of their family
What the Public Health Nurse does:
- Home Visits
- Health Evaluations
- Referrals and Case Management
- Community Presentations
For more information about Public Health Nursing or to make a referral call:
City of Long Beach Department of Health and Human Services, Nursing Division
2525 Grand Avenue, Room 250
Long Beach, CA 90815
(562) 570-4272, (562) 570-4120
TDD at (562) 570-4230