BUREAU OF ENVIRONMENTAL HEALTH
NOISE CONTROL PROGRAM
The City of Long Beach has established a Noise Control Program within the Department of Health & Human Services, Bureau of Environmental Health, to enforce the Noise Ordinance (Section 8.80.010) and address loud noises that may impact residents and businesses in the city. Noises that the program covers that may exceed noise control standards include (but are not limited to):
- Amplified music
- Loud stereos and TVs
- Leaf blowers
- Air conditioners and other equipment
- Parking lot sweepers
- Delivery noises
- Use of domestic power tools
The following are other types of noises that are handled in other departments, please reach out to those departments respectively:
- Loud talking, screaming, yelling, doors slamming and vehicle noises are considered as disturbing the peace and are handled by the Police Department:
- To report a noise disturbance which requires an immediate Police response dial 9-1-1.
- To report a non-emergency noise disturbance, please call the Police at (562) 435-6711.
- To report airport noise, please call Airport Noise Abatement (562) 570-2678.
- To report a special events noise, please call the Special Events Complaint Hotline (562) 570-5339.
- Additional departments can be found at When I Should File a Noise Complaint? (also indicated below)
If your noise disturbance qualifies for our program, please read How to File a Noise Complaint in the City of Long Beach for further information on the process. You may also call our Noise Complaint Hotline at (562) 570-4126 to start the process/report the disturbance.
A Noise Complaint Form is required to and can be completed online, mailed, faxed, or emailed to EnvironmentalHealth@longbeach.gov.
If the noise source continues to occur two weeks after registering the complaint (and notification is received by both parties), submit another Noise Complaint Form, mark the box (second complaint) on the form, and submit the completed form to the Noise Control Program. Should the noise complaint continue, the necessary steps will be taken as outlined in the How to File a Noise Complaint in the City of Long Beach.
For additional information, please see City of Long Beach Municipal Code Chapter 8.80 for the City of Long Beach Noise Ordinance and/or contact our office between the hours of 8:00 AM and 5:00 PM, Monday through Friday, at (562) 570-4132. You may also email us at EnvironmentalHealth@longbeach.gov.