BUREAU OF ENVIRONMENTAL HEALTH
The Environmental Health Massage Program regulates massage establishments and practitioners to ensure that they maintain a safe, sanitary and lawful work environment. Environmental health is responsible for issuing health permits, conducting inspections and responding to complaints regarding unsafe and unsanitary conditions at the massage establishments.
All massage establishments shall comply with the following operating requirements:
- All equipment used in the massage therapy operation shall be maintained in a clean and sanitary condition. Instruments utilized in performing massage therapy shall not be used on more than one client unless they have been sterilized, using standard sterilization methods.
- All floors, walls, and ceilings shall be in good repair, and maintained in a clean and sanitary condition.
- Massage establishments and massage therapists shall at all times have an adequate supply of clean sanitary towels, coverings and linens. Towels, non-disposable coverings, and linens shall not be used on more than one client, unless they have first been laundered and disinfected. Disposable towels and disposable coverings shall not be used on more than one client. Soiled linens and paper towels shall be deposited in separate receptacles.
- Toilet facilities shall be provided in convenient locations within the massage establishment and shall include lavatories or wash basins provided with soap and both hot and cold running water either in the toilet room or vestibule.
- Artificial or natural light must be provided to produce a minimum of ten (10) foot candles in all parts of the massage establishment.
- A minimum of one hand wash station for employees shall be provided at all times. The hand wash station must be within or as close as practicable to the area devoted to performing massage therapy services. Soap and sanitary towels shall be provided at each hand wash station.
- Massage therapy shall be provided or given only between the hours of 7:00 am and 10:00 pm. No massage establishment shall be open and no client shall be in the establishment between 10:00pm and 7:00 am.