INFORMATION FOR K-12 SCHOOLS AND ECE PROVIDERS
Long Beach Department of Health and Human Services is following CDPH Guidance, please refer to CDPH related guidance for the most up to date information.
Early Childhood Education Providers
- CDPH COVID-19 Guidance for Child Care Programs and Provider (Updated 3/12/22)
- Provider Information Notices (PINs) for Child Care Licensing Programs
- For information on infant and toddler supplies available to residents with young children and childcare providers, visit the Assistance & Resources page and click on Children.
K-12 School INFO
Schools Open to In-Person Learning
- Group-Tracing Approach to Students Exposed to COVID-19 in a K-12 setting (3/12/22)
- Schools must continue to follow COVID-19 Public Health Guidance for K-12 Schools in California, 2021-2022 School Year (3/12/22)
- K-12 Schools Guidance 2021-2022 Questions & Answers
- Guidance for the Use of Face Coverings
- CA Safe Schools for All Hub
- Template Notification Letter
COVID-19 Case Reporting:
The TK-12 school or ECE site COVID-19 Liaison is required to report staff and participants with confirmed COVID-19 who were present at any point within the 10 days prior to the illness onset date or during their infectious period to the LBDHHS within 1 working day
- Secure online reporting is the preferred method for notifying LBDHHS of COVID-19 exposures and can be done on a computer or mobile device with access to the secure web application: Educational Sector and Youth Sports COVID-19 Reporting Portal. If online reporting is not possible, reporting can be done manually by downloading and completing the COVID-19 Case and Contact Line List for the Education Sector and sending it to COVID19edu@longbeach.gov.
- The following fields are required: first name, last name, date of birth, city of residence, test date, and grade.
- If the school has available resources additional fields to complete include: classroom numbers and home address
- Close contact information: Schools are not required to report close contact information. Schools that are able to report close contacts may simplify reporting by limiting the information to: last name, first name, DOB, and date of last exposure.
- How to Report a Positive Case- Instructional Guide
- Date Calculator
Outbreak Investigation: Exposure Management for ≥ 3 COVID-19 Cases within 10-day period at a TK-12 or ECE.
If the site, identifies a cluster of 3 or more confirmed cases (participates and/or staff) within a 10-day period, the Site should proceed with the following steps:
- Report the cluster immediately to LBDHHS. Secure online reporting is the preferred method for notifying LBDHHS and can be done on a computer with access to the secure web application: Educational Sector and Youth Sports COVID-19 Reporting Portal. If online reporting is not possible, reporting can be done manually by downloading and completing the COVID-19 Case and Contact Line List for the Education Sector and sending it to COVID19edu@longbeach.gov.
- LBDHHS will review the submitted information to determine whether the outbreak criteria described below have been met and will notify the site within 1 business day of next steps.
- Outbreak Criteria: At least 3 confirmed cases with symptomatic or asymptomatic COVID-19 within a 10-day period in a group with members who are epidemiologically linked, do not share a household, and are not a close contact of each other outside of the site. Epidemiological links require the infected persons to have been present at some point in the same setting during the same period while infectious.
- If outbreak criteria are not met, LBDHHS will advise the site COVID-19 Liaison to continue with routine exposure mangement.
- If outbreak criteria are met, LBDHHS will notify the site COVID-19 Liaison that an outbreak investigation has been activated and will provide additional outbreak control recommendations and requirements. Some of these mitigation strategies may include requiring the affected classroom/cohort/team to test and mask indoors until the outbreak is over. LBDHHS will communicate directly with the site to coordinate the outbreak response.
Effective March 12, 2022, masking is strongly recommended in indoor settings.
- COVID-19 Decision Making Flow Chart for TK-12, ECEs, and Youth Sports (02/10/22) (Spanish)
- Entry Screening Form
- Testing Information Handout (English, Spanish, Khmer & Tagalog)
- Contact Tracing Information
- Instructional Video: How to Report a Case
- Youth Recreational Sports Guidance and Exposure Management (Updated 03/21/2022)
Information for Student and Parents/Guardians
If you have questions or concerns about the K-12 or ECE guidance and recommendations, please contact your school administrator. If you would like to report issues or have additional questions you can contact the health department at firstname.lastname@example.org.