Housing Opportunities for Persons with AIDS
Since the early 1990's, HUD has funded the Housing Opportunities for Persons with AIDS (HOPWA) Program to assist households where one or more people are HIV+ or have AIDS. Currently the Housing Authority of Long Beach receives funds to operate two HOPWA housing programs:
- The HOPWA Tenant-Based Rental Assistance Program, which is modeled after HUD's Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher Program and follows the same rules.
- The HOPWA Short-Term Assistance Program (STAP), which provides periodic grant(s) on an "as needed" bases to help low-income tenants catch-up with rent and utility payments and pay moving expenses. The STAP grants offer two types of financial assistance, Short-Term Rent, Mortgage, Utilities (STRMU) assistance and Permanent Housing Placement (PHP) assistance.
- STRMU: Provides assistance for up to 21 weeks in any 52 week period with rent, mortgage, and/or utilities (gas, electric, water and sewer), which may or may not be consecutive. An applicant must be living in permanent housing in Los Angeles County and must have a valid rental agreement and proof of residence.
- PHP (Move-In): Provides assistance with reasonable costs to move persons into permanent housing by covering the security deposit. A one-time utility switch-on fee may be paid if required. The maximum amount is based on the fair market rents for Los Angeles County defined annually by HUD.
Eligibility requirements for the STAP grants are:
- AIDS, Symptomatic HIV or diagnosed HIV+ with an unrelated disability.
- Income of no more than $3,538 per month for a single individual (Family Units amounts may vary).
- An applicant must be living in or moving to Los Angeles County.
- An applicant must have a source of income that does not exceed 80% of the gross median income in Los Angeles County as defined annually by HUD.
- Households consisting of single individuals or two adults may not spend less than 40% of gross income; family households of three or more may not spend less than 30% of gross income for rent/mortgage and utilities.
- Additional eligibility criteria may apply depending on financial assistance request.
If you have any questions on the HOPWA and STAP Programs, please contact one of the Housing Case Managers noted below, weekdays between 8:00 am and 5:00 pm.
Comprehensive AIDS Research Education (CARE) Program
St Mary Medical Center/CARE Program
1045 Atlantic Ave., Suite 1016
Long Beach, CA 90813
Preventive Health Bureau
City of Long Beach Department of Health and Human Services (LBDHHS)
2525 Grand Avenue, suite 115
Long Beach, CA 90815
If you have an appointment with a Housing Case Manager, please make sure to bring in your completed intake package (View a copy)