The HACLB Housing Choice Voucher program assists over 7,000 families in the city of Long Beach. To meet the demand for housing, we need good landlords and invite your participation.
Participants of the Housing Choice Voucher/Section 8 program typically pay between 30% - 40% of their adjusted income for rent while the Housing Authority of the City of Long Beach, using federal dollars from the Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD), covers the difference between the approved contract rent and the tenant's rent payment. This guarantees that owners will receive a portion of the rent on time each month.By becoming our partner in the Housing Choice Voucher program you make it possible for low-income families to enjoy quality, affordable housing. In return, owners receive a number of benefits:
- Leasing Bonus: If you lease with individuals and/or families participating in our programs, you may earn a leasing bonus. These bonuses are paid directly to you! We are currently offering $2,000 leasing bonuses to qualified housing providers.
- Qualified Referrals: We will cover the cost of application fees (up to $50) used to vet applicants – including background checks, eviction reports, so you can select the most qualified applicants.
- Security Deposits: We want to make sure you have peace of mind. We will cover your unit’s security deposit – up to 2x the monthly rent for an unfurnished unit, or up to 3x the monthly rent for furnished units.
- Damage Mitigation: At move-out, if you experience any damages to your unit that exceed the security deposit, we will provide up to $2,000 for participants of the Emergency Housing Vouchers (EHV) Program.
- Reliable Monthly Payments: Once a Housing Assistance Payment contract has been fully executed, the Housing Authority guarantees payment. If the family remains eligible and the unit meets the minimum Housing Quality Standards, you are guaranteed payment on the first business day of every month.
- Free Property Listings: If you list your property, we will share your listing with our program participants in order to help fill your unit as soon as possible. You can also advertise your unit free of charge at affordablehousing.com.
- Annual Unit Inspections: HACLB inspects your unit free of charge, in order to make sure that your unit meets minimum quality standards.
- Fair Market Rental Rates: We ensure that rents are fair market rents by comparing rates to comparably sized and equipped units in the area
Approved contract rents are set based on comparable rent for similar unassisted units and affordability for the individual client. The amounts reflected in the Fair Market Rent include a utility allowance.
As a property owner, you are entitled to screen potential tenants and set rules and regulations that are in conformance with California Tenant Law. Ownership information is not required until a Housing Choice Voucher/Section 8 voucher holder attempts to rent your unit. You may advertise the listing by submitting it online. Quarterly owner orientations are scheduled throughout the year, you may check the website for dates or contact us at (562) 570-5352. We appreciate your consideration of the Section 8 program and look forward to partnering with you to provide affordable housing to Long Beach families.
To stay connected, sign up for our Partners in Housing Newsletter!
- Owner Portal
- List Your Property
- Utility Allowance Schedule
- Owner Info-Sessions
- Partners in Housing Newsletter
- Current Payment Standards
- Rent Increase Request Form
- Owner Address Change form
- Direct Deposit Authorization Form
- New Owner Packet