UPDATE 3/15/23: LONG BEACH SEASONAL LIFEGUARD TRYOUTS
NEW LOCATION: 72ND PLACE LIFEGUARD STATION
ADDRESS: 7200 E OCEAN BLVD. LONG BEACH, CA 90803
SIGN UP/REGISTRATION: 8:30AM
*Due to a water quality health order, the water west of the Belmont Veterans Memorial Pier is temporarily closed.
On Saturday, March 18th, 2023, beginning at 8:30 a.m. the Long Beach Fire Department will hold an open test for anyone interested in becoming a Seasonal Lifeguard. Tryouts will be held at 72ND Place Lifeguard station located at 7200 E Ocean Boulevard. Parking is available at the 72nd Place Parking Lot. Each candidate must bring a swimsuit, towel, and picture identification (i.e. DMV issued Driver's License/Identification Card, U.S. Passport/Passport Card, or current school ID.).
See below for qualifications, exam schedule, and duties.
- No prior training or experience is required
- 17 years of age as of July 1st, 2023 – Proof of age required at time of conditional employment offer (valid DMV issued Driver's License/Identification Card, U.S. Passport/Passport Card, or current school ID).
- Any applicant under 18 years of age must possess a valid work permit from his or her high school, high school diploma, or G.E.D. prior to the start of the training program.
- Please note: The City of Long Beach requires all employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 prior to their first day of employment unless a medical or religious accommodation is approved by the City of Long Beach's Human Resources Department.
8:30 a.m. Briefing and Sign-up (DMV issued Driver's License/Identification Card, U.S. Passport/Passport Card, or current school ID required at Sign-Ups)
9:40 a.m. Ocean Swim, 1000-yards
10:10 a.m. Run-Swim-Run
2:00 p.m. Announce candidate list for pre-employment scored oral interview. Announcements will be made at Lifeguard Headquarters (2100 E Ocean Blvd., Long Beach CA 90803)
*Exam Schedule is subject to change at the discretion of the Marine Safety Division
Formal Interviews will be taking place between March 20th – 24th, 2023 at Long Beach Lifeguard Beach Operations (2100 E Ocean Blvd.). Emails will be sent out to confirm interview times. All candidates moving forward are required to have an active email and working phone number.
Placement in the 1000-yard ocean swim and run-swim-run will determine who moves forward to the pre-employment scored oral interviews. All candidates will enter the pre-employment scored oral interviews at an equal level. The pre-employment oral interview scores will determine who qualifies for the Training Program. The candidates will enter into the Training Program after successful completion of all pre-employment forms, live scan and medical exam.
The 8-day, 80-hour Training Program is tentatively scheduled for the following dates: May 14, May 20-21, May 27-29, & June 3-4. Training days will begin at 8:00 a.m. and include training in lifeguard tactics, lifeguard operations, first aid, D.O.T. first responder, cardiopulmonary resuscitation, rescue buoys, rescue boards, and timed events. Training will include comprehensive written and practical testing.
Ocean Lifeguard Duties:
- Watch a designated section of the beach and water from an assigned station
- Answer calls for help and perform rescue and resuscitation work
- Warn bathers of beach and water hazards
- Administer first aid, cardiopulmonary resuscitation
- Use and maintain rescue equipment
- Take charge of lost children
- Answer questions of beach visitors
- Advise regarding local beach and waterway related ordinances
- Serve as a crewmember or ride-along in lifeguard vehicles
- Assist in salvage operations of small boats and their property
- Complete and maintain activity records
- Perform other related duties as required
Please note: A film crew will be present at the 3/18 lifeguard tryouts, working on a documentary about the tryout process. We will be asking that applicants sign Appearance Releases so their faces can be shown during the tryout (for applicants under 18, we will be asking parents to sign as well as applicants). Anyone who is participating in the tryout and able to sign an appearance release ahead of the tryout, please email Nick Nuñez (firstname.lastname@example.org), who can send you an electronic release form and answer any questions. We will have physical release forms available at the sign up for tryouts for anyone unable to sign in advance.