2021 Lifeguard TryoutsRelease Date: 2021-04-23
2021 Lifeguard Tryouts
• No prior training or experience is required
• 17 years of age as of July 1st, 2021 – Proof of age required at time of conditional employment offer
(valid Driver’s License or CA Identification Card or Birth Certificate with school photo ID card).
• Any applicant under 18 years of age must possess a valid work permit from his or her high school,
high school diploma, or G.E.D. prior to the start of the training program.
8:00 a.m. Briefing and Sign-up (Driver’s License or CA ID Card required at Sign-Ups)
9:00 a.m. Ocean Swim, 1000-yards
9:45 a.m. Run-Swim-Run
12:00 p.m. Announce candidate list for pre-employment scored oral interview
Formal Interviews will be taking place on May 1st and 2nd, 2021 at Long Beach Lifeguard Beach
Operations (2100 E Ocean Blvd.). Emails will be sent out to confirm interview times. All candidates
moving forward are required to have an active email and working phone number.
Placement in the 1000-yard ocean swim and run-swim-run will determine who moves forward to the
pre-employment scored oral interviews. All candidates will enter the pre-employment scored oral
interviews at an equal level. The pre-employment oral interview scores will determine who qualifies for the
Training Program. The candidates will enter the Training Program after successful completion of all preemployment
forms, live scan and medical exam.
The 7-day, 80-hour Training Program is tentatively scheduled for the following dates: June 12th -
June 18th. Training days will begin at 8:00 a.m. and include training in lifeguard tactics, lifeguard
operations, first aid, D.O.T. first responder, cardiopulmonary resuscitation, rescue buoys, rescue boards,
and timed events. Training will include comprehensive written and practical testing.
Ocean Lifeguard Duties:
• Watch a designated section of the beach and water from an assigned station
• Answer calls for help and perform rescue and resuscitation work
• Warn bathers of beach and water hazards
• Administer first aid, cardiopulmonary resuscitation
• Use and maintain rescue equipment
• Take charge of lost children
• Answer questions of beach visitors
• Provide advice regarding local beach and waterway related ordinances
• Serve as a crewmember or ride-along in lifeguard vehicles
• Assist in salvage operations of small boats and their property
• Complete and maintain activity records
• Perform other related duties as required
For any questions email firstname.lastname@example.org.