Claiming Property from an Impounded Vehicle
- The Registered or Legal Owner may remove personal property from an impounded vehicle before obtaining its release.
- The Hours to acquire personal property on Mondays are from 8:00 AM to 2:00 PM Tuesday through Friday 8:00 AM to 4:30 PM Saturdays 8:00 AM to 3:30 PM and closed Sundays and legal holidays.
- Property retrieval from lien sale vehicles must be completed by the end of business day on the Thursday prior to the vehicle's scheduled auction date.
- Only personal property such as clothing, papers, tools, baby seats or other easily removable items can be recovered from an impounded vehicle. If vehicle requires a battery it must be installed by a licensed Tow Service with roadside certification for safety.
- Nothing can be removed from an impounded vehicle requiring the use of tools such as the battery, tires, radio, amplifiers, speakers or other items.
- The Registered or Legal Owner of an impounded vehicle may authorize the release of personal property to another party by signing a letter of authorization.
- Removal of personal property from impounded vehicles placed on a Police HOLD for Investigation is not permissible.
- No one can see, touch or remove personal property from an impounded vehicle with a Police Hold for Investigation until the investigating officer has authorized the release of the Police Hold.