El Dorado Duck Pond Project
Additional project updates and information will be published on an on-going basis.
Latest Updates - September 2022
The City's Contractor, Los Angeles Engineering, is scheduled to begin construction in the area in September 2022 with a scheduled completion, barring weather or other unforeseen delays by late 2023.
The improvements will include:
- Improved water quality, ecological function, and habitat of the El Dorado Duck Pond by restoring the pond liner, enlarging the wetlands and forebay, removing invasive species, and new California native landscaping
- Upgrades to current conditions of the walkway surrounding the pond which will reduce future costs and update to the equipment, which as exceeded its usage expectancy
- A reconfigured water circulation system and a new filtration and disinfection system which will improve water quality, allowing reclaimed water to service the adjacent El Dorado Golf Course, consistent with the City's water conservation efforts
The contractor is scheduled to perform work Monday through Friday from 7:00 AM to 4:00 PM. Parking impacts are expected. Patrons can still park on Studebaker Rd. Efforts will be made to minimize inconveniences and minimize construction activities during scheduled park sports activities.
The contractor encourages park patrons to keep children away from the construction areas and activities.
Thank you in advance for your patience and cooperation throughout this project. If you have any questions or concerns, please call the El Dorado Duck Pond hotline at (562) 570-6591 or e-mail us at email@example.com.
*Construction timeline is set barring unforeseen weather changes or other circumstances.
- Construction Start (September 2022)
- Dewater Duck Pond (September 2022)
- Reclaimed Water and Irrigation Mainline Installation (November 2022)
- Sediment Removal of Duck Pond (February 2023)
- New Liner Installation (June 2023)
- Mechanical/Electrical Equipment Installation (August 2023)
- Fill Duck Pond (September 2023)
- Habitat Restoration (October 2023)
- Construction Ends (Late 2023)
The El Dorado Duck Pond is in El Dorado Park West, a 273-acre regional park located along the eastern border of Long Beach. The area around the duck pond includes many recreational amenities including a soccer field, restroom facilities, amphitheater, two parking lots, playground and open space. An 18-hole golf course borders the duck pond property to the east. The project will enhance recreational amenities and improve visitor experience for park users such as:
- Improving water quality
- Enhancing ecological function and the pond’s habitat by restoring the pond liner
- Enlarging the wetlands and forebay
- Removing invasive specie
- Planting of California native landscaping
In partnership with the Long Beach Water Department and in alignment with the City’s water conservation efforts, the project will provide a new reclaimed water system to the adjacent golf course reducing the use of potable water. The Long Beach Water Department will be utilizing the treated water from the pond to irrigate a neighboring golf course. This will be accomplished by the installation of a new system treatment that will provide filtration and disinfection of any water distributed through the irrigation system.
The proposed project will address leaks and other existing deficiencies, improve public access, and convert the pond into a recycled water reservoir. The project will also upgradecurrent conditions of the walkway surrounding the pond.
Since the pond will be drained as part of the proposed repairs, the duck pond will be temporarily closed to the public during the duration of the project from September 2022 to late 2023.
The project is currently supported by Measure A, Measure W, grant funding from the Los Angeles County Regional Park and Open Space District Grant, in addition to federal grant funding in partnership with the Long Beach Water Department.
Wildlife Care and Tree Planting
The Public Works Department takes great care and consideration in ensuring tree removals are handled in an environmentally responsible manner. The wellbeing and care of all birds and wildlife is a priority and being considered during the entirety of this project. A qualified biologist was hired to perform regular bird nesting surveys and provide advice and recommendations to the City to ensure the most well-informed decisions. For additional information, please view the latest Bird Nesting Survey.
Before pond drainage occurs, approved wildlife relocation activities will begin. As water drawdown commences, any remaining wildlife will continue to be removed and relocated according to the approved California Department of Fish & Wildlife (CDFW) Streambed Alteration Agreement.
Construction is targeted for September 2022 with remaining tree removals and wildlife relocation. Of the twenty-five trees to be removed, thirteen have been completed with a remaining twelve for construction operations and enhancements. The project will plant 33 new trees.
Project Contact Information
Marvin Mai, firstname.lastname@example.org
- El Dorado Duck Pond Project
- El Dorado Duck Pond Bird Nesting Survey
- El Dorado Duck Pond Construction Notice (English)
- El Dorado Duck Pond Community Meeting Presentation - August 10, 2022
- El Dorado Duck Pond Community Meeting - August 10, 2022
- El Dorado Duck Pond Community Meeting Presentation - December 3, 2020
- El Dorado Duck Pond FAQ
- El Dorado Duck Pond Planting Plan
- California Department of Fish & Wildlife (CDFW) Streambed Alteration Agreement for the El Dorado Duck Pond Restoration Project