SCE Status Update and Important Safety Information for Strong WindsRelease Date: 2016-02-01
Southern California Edison (SCE) crews are working safely and quickly to restore power to areas affected by weather-related outages. Due to the severity of the storms, estimated restoration times are not currently available. SCE is bringing in approximately 200 crews to identify and repair the damage caused by the rain and wind storms.
SCE reminds customers that severe weather could result in service interruptions overnight and that they should take steps now in their homes and businesses to be prepared.
If you see a downed power line or dangling wire — even if it appears not to be live — don’t touch or approach it or anything that is in contact with it and call 911 immediately.
SCE encourages customers to get ready for potential outages by taking the following measures:
- Place flashlights in handy locations, such as near telephones.
- Install surge protectors to help safeguard valuable electronic equipment, such as computers and home entertainment systems.
- Know where to find each utility box (electricity, water and gas) and how to turn them off. Keep the proper tools to do so handy.
- Always back up important work and files on your computer.
- If you have an automatic garage door or gate, learn how to open them manually (without power).
- Consider keeping at least one car at least half full with fuel. Gas stations need electricity to pump gas and will be shut down during an outage. Please note that stockpiling gasoline is not recommended. Gasoline is a hazardous, combustible substance. Portable gasoline generators should never be used inside homes, garages, office buildings or other enclosed spaces.
- Make a safety preparedness plan for your family that includes a list and location of the above items. Be prepared to meet the special needs of infants and elderly or disabled family members. Also plan how you will care for any pets.