School Guard Now Open!Release Date: 2021-05-11
REQUIREMENTS TO FILE:
All applicants must be willing and able to do all of the following:
- Work anytime during the hours of 6:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m.;
- Work split shifts;
- Stand and walk for 2 ½ - 3 hours per shift;
- Have a dependable automobile available for work;
- Repeatedly step up and down curbs;
- Pass a hearing and vision test;
- Have dependable transportation to be able to report to any School Guard station within one half-hour of notification;
- Be willing and able to work in a substitute-relief capacity for any one of the School Guard stations located throughout the City;
- Be available by telephone to receive calls for daily assignment prior to the start of shift;
- Work in all types of weather;
- Tactfully deal and communicate effectively with the public, especially children;
- Wear a department issued regulation uniform at all times when working.
SPECIAL CONDITIONS: Work is seasonal (no guarantee of work during the summer), part-time (typically, a maximum of 6 hours per day in (2) hour blocks), and split shifts. The hours assigned will depend upon the location of the crossing station. As an example, a School Guard might work from 7:30 a.m. to 9:15 a.m., 11:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m., and 2:15 p.m. to 5:00 p.m. New School Guards will be used to relieve other School Guards located throughout the City, and must be available to meet all time schedules, from 6:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. All School Guards may be temporarily moved to other work locations as needed. Uniforms are furnished by the Department of Public Works.