DIRECT GRANTS PROGRAM
The City of Long Beach Direct Grants Program provides financial assistance to eligible equity applicants and equity businesses to gain entry into, and successfully operate in, the regulated cannabis marketplace. The purpose of direct grants is to offset non-City costs associated with completing each phase of the cannabis business license application and permitting process.
To participate in the direct grants program, the following eligibility requirements must be met:
- Qualify as an Equity Applicant – To qualify as an Equity Applicant, you must have received a Cannabis Social Equity Program Verification Letter issued by the Office of Cannabis Oversight (OCO). For more information on how to qualify, please click here.
- Qualify as an Equity Business – To qualify as an Equity Business, you must have submitted an adult-use cannabis business license application to the City and received a Verification of Equity Business Status Letter issued by the Business License Division. For more information on how to qualify, please click here.
Cannabis Business Licensing Direct Grant Milestones
Equity Applicants and Equity Businesses who complete the following cannabis business licensing direct grant milestones are eligible to receive the grant amounts associated with each milestone.
Direct grants funding has been made available through the State of California, Governor's Office of Business and Economic Development (GO-Biz). The requirements to qualify for each milestone and/or grant amount may vary.
The City of Long Beach reserves the right to adjust or change direct grant milestones and grant amounts at any time to ensure that grant funds are continuously available in the areas that need it the most. Any changes to the grant milestones, GO-Biz amounts available will be posted in the 'Important Updates' section of this webpage.
|Cannabis Business Licensing Direct Grant Milestones||Grant Amount
|Pre-Application Milestone A: Equity Status Verification Issued Before July 23, 2020||$5,000|
|Pre-Application Milestone B: Equity Workshop Scheduled or Attended Before July 23, 2020||$5,000
|Milestone #1: Cannabis Business License Application Review||$100,000|
|Milestone #2: Completion of Conditional Use Permit (CUP) or Administrative Use Permit (AUP) Process||$80,000
|Milestone #3: Submittal of Facility Architectural Plans||$85,000
|Milestone #4: Issuance of Building Permit||$80,000
|Milestone #5: Final Building Sign-Off or Issuance of Certificate of Occupancy||$20,000
|Milestone #6: Issuance of Cannabis Business License||$80,000
|Total Possible Grant Funding (excluding pre-application milestones)||$445,000|
IMPORTANT UPDATES ON GO-BIZ GRANT FUNDING:
- On January 11, 2022, the OCO released the Cannabis Business Location Assistance Grant Application for equity applicants to assist them with entering a lease agreement for their cannabis business. The intent of the grant is to expend all GO Biz Round 1 grant funds by the deadline of February 28, 2022.
- Effective November 19, 2021, licensed equity businesses are now eligible to receive grant award amounts equal to those for Milestones #1 - #6. Award amounts will be prorated based on any previously received grant funds.
- Effective October 16, 2021, Milestones #1 - #4 have been updated to include all previously available BCC funding.
- On April 28, 2021, GO-Biz approved a 6-month extension to the State mandated expiration date for the City to spend all grant funds, from August 31, 2021 to February 28, 2022.
IMPORTANT UPDATES ON BCC GRANT FUNDING:
- On October 26, 2021, the OCO released a separate grant application for equity applicants who have already completed Milestone #1 in the City's licensing process to receive up to $90,000 in additional grant funding. The intent of the grant is to expend all BCC grant funds by the deadline of December 5, 2021.
- On March 29, 2021, the BCC approved a 6-month extension to the State mandated expiration date for the City to spend all BCC grant funds, from June 5, 2021 to December 5, 2021. Effective June 1, 2021, the following BCC grant amounts are available to new and pending equity businesses currently going through the process to obtain an adult-use cannabis business license. Licensed equity businesses are not eligible for these grant funds.
- $60,000 available at Milestone #2
- $50,000 available at Milestone #3
- $30,000 available at Milestone #4
- Effective December 1, 2020, $80,000 in BCC grant funds is available at Milestone #1 for new and pending equity businesses currently going through the process to obtain an adult-use cannabis business license. Licensed equity businesses are not eligible for the additional $80,000 in BCC grant funds available at Milestone #1.
Apply For A Direct Grant
Equity Applicants and Equity Businesses that have completed one or more cannabis business licensing direct grant milestones may submit a Cannabis Social Equity Direct Grants Application, along with supporting documentation to the Office of Cannabis Oversight.
Long Beach City Hall
Office of Cannabis Oversight
411 W. Ocean Blvd., 10th Floor
Long Beach, CA 90802
Monday through Friday 7:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
Due to COVID-19, City Hall is currently closed to the public. During this time, cannabis social equity direct grants applications may only be submitted by mail or e-mail to the address above.
Have a question?
Please contact the Office of Cannabis Oversight by visiting the Contact Us page.