Our Pet Literacy program promotes humane treatment and the socialization of animals through reading out loud. This program improves the shelter environment for our guests, creates a connection between people and animals, promotes socialization, and prepares the animals in our care for adoption. Readers must be fifteen  years or older, or an adult must accompany them.
Guided tours are available upon request. For groups of ten  or more, please schedule at least one week prior to your visit by using the online form.
Community Service Hours
All students from the Long Beach Unified School District (LBUSD) can receive service hours when they read to the animals but must sign in by using the mobile check-in. You may also email the scanned Service Hours Form to firstname.lastname@example.org to receive a digital signature and credit for volunteer hours.
Schedule a self-guided tour to explore Long Beach Animal Care Services while participating in the highly-rated Pet Literacy enrichment program. The program is available on Wednesdays through Saturdays from 11:00 AM - 3:00 PM.
All participants are encouraged to use the mobile check-in service upon their arrival.
- Bring the books of your choice.
- Enter the facility through the Adoption Center entrance.
- Sign in to your visit using the mobile check-in service.
- Pick up your Pet Literacy name tag from the front desk.
- Use the map to begin the self-guided tour.
- For immediate assistance, please text (562) 441-4095.