Home » Public Works » Services » Report Storm Drain Dumping


(562) 570-DUMP is an informational and reporting Hotline provided for you by the Department of Public Works Clean Water Division.


IF WOULD LIKE TO REPORT ILLEGAL DUMPING OF NON HAZARDOUS MATERIALS, LIKE GRASS CLIPPINGS, PET WASTE, PLEASE CALL (562) 570-DUMP. Listed below is an edited version of our phone tree message. Please read on! (You might want to have a piece of paper and pencil handy to write down important phone numbers) 

Let's begin!

Who causes water pollution? People like you and me! You see, when rain or water from garden hoses and sprinklers flows over our streets and yards, it carries pollutants into the storm drains. Pollutants like motor oil, pesticides, paints, grass clippings, fertilizers, litter, and pet waste. In most places, whatever goes down a storm drain flows directly - without treatment - into local creeks, streams, rivers, and eventually into the ocean, threatening water quality for humans and wildlife. Here's the good news-you are the solution to water pollution!

How To Report Illegal Dumping (Option #1 when you call)

Call (562)570-DUMP to report the dumping of non-hazardous materials into the storm drain please leave a detailed message after the tone. If you would like someone to call you regarding this matter please leave you phone number with area code. 

If you are outside the City of Long Beach, but still in the County of Los Angeles, please call (888)Clean-LA, that's (888)253-2652.

For Pesticides /Fertilizers /Paints and Solvents (Option #2 when you call)

Did you know that pesticides, fungicides and insecticides that wash off your yards from rain or over watering may be toxic to our environment? So please follow the package directions before using and whenever possible uses non-toxic alternatives to pest control. Always take unwanted leftovers to a household hazardous waste collection center. Never throw pesticides in the trash or in a storm drain. To find the nearest household hazardous waste collection center, please call (888)Clean-LA or (800)238-0173. For the HAZMOBILE schedule please call (800)98-TOXIC. You will also find information via the internet at www.lacsd.org

Did you know that fertilizers can may harm our environment? Fertilizers promote algae growth in our waterways. As the algae decomposes it depletes the oxygen level in the water and harms aquatic life. When using fertilizers follow the application instructions, do not over water, and do not apply if rain is forecasted.

Do you know where to wash your paintbrushes? If you're using latex water based paints, you can wash your paintbrushes directly in your kitchen or bathroom sink. Never rinse your brushes in the street. REMEMBER, STORM DRAINS LEAD DIRECTLY TO THE OCEAN. If you must use oil based paints, handle cleanup properly by rinsing brushes with solvent into a container. Filter and reuse thinner and solvent. Take unusable liquid and residue to a household hazardous waste collection center. For more information on household hazardous waste collection please press (888)Clean-LA or (800)238-0173 or visit their internet site.

For Pet Waste/Yard Waste and Clippings (Option #3 when you call)

Pet waste contains harmful bacteria and organisms that can spread disease. Pick up after your pet; seal it in a bag, and dispose of it in trashcans. DO NOT HOSE WASTE INTO STORM DRAINS! Help keep your neighborhood and your pet healthy and clean. 

Yard and grass clippings can reach our local waterways by washing into storm drains. Keep green waste out of the storm drains. A better use for the green waste is grass cycling, and composting. To purchase a compost bin or for information on free Composting Workshops, call (562)570-2876.

Used Motor Oil and Oil filters/Reduce, Reuse, Recycle (Option #4 when you call)

Did you know that each year over 180 million gallons of motor oil are disposed of illegally by people who change the oil in their trucks and cars? NEVER put motor oil in the trash or pour it on the ground or down a storm drain. Recycle it instead! 

Here are two ways Long Beach residents can recycle used motor oil:

  1. Place it next to your purple recycle bin for collection. Motor oil MUST be in a special container for curbside collection. For delivery of FREE containers, call (800)RECYCL 2. OR...
  2. Take it to a certified used oil collection center.

To learn about recycling motor oil, please call (562)570-2876, (800)RECYCL2 or visit the Environmental Services Bureau site.

Here are some of examples of Storm Water's Most (Option #5 when you call) 

Frequently Asked Questions:

  1. What are the most common pollutants found during a beach clean up? Cigarette butts, foamed plastic pieces, paper pieces, food bags, plastic caps/lids, glass pieces, straws, beverage bottles
  2. What number do I call for clogged catch basins? (562)570-2390
  3. What are some examples of non-toxic alternatives for pest control? A program called Integrated Pest Management (IPM) where you use beneficial insects, like ladybugs, to control unwanted insects. For a lot more information check out the following internet site: www.ipm.ucdavis.edu/

How YOU can help prevent pollution (Option #6 when you call)

You can help prevent pollution by using Best Management Practices or BMPs. BMPs are basically good housekeeping practices to help prevent storm water pollution. Some examples of BMPs that you can put into practice are:

BMPS @ home:

  • Clean up after your pet and dispose of waste in trash
  • Use waterproof diapers when toddlers are in water and always put soiled diapers in the trash
  • Recycle your motor oil
  • Take leftover household hazardous wastes to a countywide HHW roundup
  • Cover and maintain your garbage cans
  • Have your car, boat and motor home inspected and maintained regularly to reduce leakage of oil and antifreeze

BMPS @ worksite/play:

  • Control runoff and prevent erosion at construction sites
  • Use certified pump-out and dump stations to dispose of sewage from boats and recreational vehicles.
  • Develop and implement a "Spill Response Program"

Promote Pollution Prevention and Awareness in your Community

Participate in programs like storm drain stenciling, neighborhood clean-ups and the Annual Coastal Clean-up. Call (562)570-1745 for information on this year's Coastal Clean Up.

Additional Information (Option #7 when you call)

If YOUR storm water questions or concerns have not been answered by the previous selections, please feel free to call (562)570-6383