FAQs for Residents

  • Why should I report an abandoned shopping cart?

    For one, abandoned shopping carts are an eyesore in the community and actually attract additional litter. More importantly, though, they present a danger to children who do not understand the consequences of “playing” with shopping carts.

  • Am I allowed to take a shopping cart home?

    No. It is a violation of State law and City ordinance for shopping carts to be removed from a business premises without written permission from the owner. Stores are required to monitor their shopping carts and make sure they stay on site at all times.

  • What if the store gives me permission to borrow the cart?

    The store may give you written permission to take the cart off the premises. Remember, though, you must make arrangements for that cart to be returned to the store within a twenty-four (24) hour period.

  • What if I see an abandoned cart in my neighborhood?

    Every shopping cart is required to have a shopping cart identification sign. This sign will tell you who owns the cart, and who to call to have the cart picked up. If there is an abandoned cart in your neighborhood, simply call the store, and they are required to retrieve it.

  • How long does the store have to retrieve the cart?

    The store has twenty-four (24) hours to retrieve the cart. If the cart is not retrieved within this time period, please contact the California Shopping Cart Retrieval Corporation at (800) 252-4613 or online at www.cscrc.net.

  • What should I do if I need to use a cart?

    Many residents now use personal, collapsible carts that are both sturdy and lightweight. These carts can be taken on local buses, and can be stored easily at home.

  • Where can I purchase my own cart?

    Personal carts are becoming very popular and can be purchased at a variety of local stores or online by typing “portable shopping carts” into your web browser.

  • Who do I call if I have any questions?

    If you have any further questions, you may contact the Department of Development Services at (562) 570-1010.