Long Beach Police Explorers Post #295
The Long Beach Police Explorer Post #295 is a program designed for motivated and service-oriented young men and women who have an interest in the law enforcement field. Explorers attend weekly meetings where they receive training in all avenues of law enforcement. The program provides an opportunity for youth to gain personal satisfaction, enhance their leadership / teamwork skills, and make a difference in their community.
Recruitment for the program occurs in April and October of each year to coincide with the timing of the regional Explorer Training Academies. Applications for the Police Explorer Program may be submitted throughout the year and will be held until the next recruitment period. Download the Police Explorer Application for completion.
Who can be an L.B.P.D. Explorer?
- You live in Long Beach
- You are between the ages of 14 and 20, and have completed 8th grade
- You are free from physical limitations that might prevent you from completing any duty assignment
- You can commit eight hours of service per month after graduation from the Explorer Academy
- You maintain a 2.00 grade point average
- You have no felony convictions
- You are of good moral character
What are the duties of an explorer?
- Attend weekly meetings
- Work at the business/information desk
- Participate in ride-alongs with police officers
- Assist with DUI checkpoints
- Work with L.B.P.D. specialized units
- Participate in many other civic functions
- Explorer academies
- Compete against other Explorer Posts
- Field trips
- Enhance skills and abilities
- Assist other Explorer Posts
Benefits of Becoming an Explorer:
- Training: patrol procedures, communications, department regulations, criminal law, report writing, the fundamentals of police field work, physical fitness and more!
- Community Events: safety fairs, fingerprinting, traffic control, fundraising, and other community outreach activities.
For More Information:
For more information about the program or to obtain an application, contact Detective Sondra Ledesma at (562) 570-8597 or email Sondra.Ledesma@longbeach.gov