More information on Tennis Classes.
An additional parcel of 2.28 acres was acquired in July 1940, and named for Charles R. Rowett. September 26, 1951, a 0.69-acre parcel of land at the northwest corner of Bixby Road and Country Club Drive was purchased from Richard C. Cheroske to complete Rowett Park. Both parcels were north of Bixby Road. Bixby Road through the park was then vacated to add 0.64-acres more. The final 2.47 acres, south of the original parcel, was acquired between 1951 and 1958 and the entire park renamed Los Cerritos Park.
The park is improved with a playground, two tennis courts, picnic areas and a restroom building. The park is a popular location for Municipal Band concerts. The playground was redeveloped in 1995 with funds from the Safe Neighborhood Parks Bond act of 1992. Additional improvements for the American's with Disabilities Act transition plan were competed in 2004 with funding from federal Community Development Block Grants.
In 1985, Gary Gabelich Memorial Grove was dedicated in the northwest section of the park in memory of the local resident. Gary won many drag racing championships and set world speed records on both land and sea. He also was associated with several local charitable causes including the California Pool for the Handicapped, Special Olympics and March of Dimes.