Heartwell Park
5801 E. Parkcrest St.
(562) 570-1635
(158.6 acres)

    Information

    Hours:
    Monday - Friday: 10 - 4pm
    Saturday: 12 - 4pm
    Sunday: Closed


    Come enjoy 122.5 acres of scenic landscaped grounds with its fishing pond, bike/skate path, fitness course and cool, shaded picnic areas. For your pleasure there are night-lighted game courts, athletic fields, ball diamonds and a kiddie playground. Also included are youth activities, sports and some special interest classes.

    History

    This park is located south of Carson Street, from Clark Avenue to the San Gabriel River. It has four main sections, Studebaker Road to Palo Verde Avenue, Palo Verde Avenue to Woodruff Avenue, Woodruff Avenue to Bellflower Boulevard, and Bellflower Boulevard to Clark Avenue. It was formerly known as Lakewood Park, but was renamed for Col. Charles Heartwell in February 1939. Col. Heartwell was President of the Water Department at that time. Heartwell lobbied for the city to purchase 350-acres of land along Carson Street between Lakewood Blvd. and the San Gabriel Riever. This land is restricted for use as a public park, playground and street purposes, and for the development of water. It was purchased in 1931 with water bond funds.

    In 1940, Mrs. Susanna Bryant donated 529 California trees for planting in Heartwell Park, from Rancho Santa Ana Botanical Gardens. In 1947, 800 shrubs were planted in the park after the Army occupied it during the World War II. The Sycamore trees along Carson Street mark the location of a former bridle path.

    After World War II, new homes filled the area and Long Beach used the Shotgun Strip to stop annexation efforts by Lakewood and other cities. State law bars cities from crossing another municipality's borders to annex land. The park's boundaries formed a perfect a shotgun.

    The recreation building with staff office and small meeting room was constructed in the park in 1964. On October 24, 1965, the lake in the park was first filled with water.

    The park was largely undeveloped until the passage of park bonds in 1956. After that, large sections were improved with a par 3, 18-hole golf course with restaurant, 10 baseball diamonds, picnic areas, a library and bicycle and walking trails. Beginning in the 1980's, several soccer fields were added. The park benefited from the Los Angeles County Safe Neighborhood Parks Bond Acts of 1992 and 1996 with improvements to baseball diamonds and soccer fields, night lighting for several fields, new playground equipment, and improvements to the lake.

    The park includes the Ruth Bach Library, areas leased to the Girls Scouts of America (2.44 acres) and to the Camp Fire Girls (6.95 acres). These areas serve these organizations as administrative offices, meeting areas, and overnight camping. An area of 1.32 acres is also leased to the Long Beach Day Nursery, which runs a non-profit day care service from the site.

    Amenities

    Baseball Field, Basketball Court, Community Center, Picnic Area, Playground, Roller Hockey Court, Soccer Field, Softball Field, Restrooms, Volleyball Court.

    Programs:

    Youth Recreation, Adult Classes

    Map to the Park

    Adult guitar class taught at Heartwell Park