Bluff Park was originally landscaped by the Pacific Electric Railway as a condition of the being granted the right-of-way for the rail line down Ocean Boulevard.
The Army occupied Bluff Park during World War II, equipping it with anti-aircraft guns and limiting citizen access. It wasn’t until September 1946, that Army structures were removed; the high board fence on Ocean Blvd demolished and sidewalks reconstructed. In June 1955, the gun emplacement was removed and palm trees were planted.
Bluff Park is a passive park with limited improvements other than plants and trees. The Elizabeth Milbank Anderson House is used as the Long Beach Museum of Art, and is leased to and operated by the Long Beach Art Museum Foundation. In 2000, the carriage house was moved from 19th Place to the bluff edge, and a museum gallery building constructed on its former site.
On December 11, 2004, the Lone Sailor Memorial was erected in the park. Bricks with donor names, mostly honoring naval veterans, created a plaza around the 7-foot tall sailor who is gazing out to sea with his duffle. These have been very popular and an enlargement of the plaza as a Partner’s of Parks fundraiser is anticipated.
The dedication of memorial benches overlooking the ocean has also been a very popular addition to Bluff Park in the last decade preceding 2009.
The ocean bluff between the beach and the top of Bluff Park is part of the park. The area has inconsistent landscaping due to irrigation line breaks on eroding surfaces, spot planting plans and various erosion mitigation structures from the 1980’s and earlier. A plan to mitigate erosion was developed in 2000 through terracing, pressure sensitive irrigation systems and native plantings. This was only implemented in three demonstration areas, which failed to solve problems, but provided information for how to proceed. In 2009, plans to restore beauty and habitat to the bluff are being developed.