Jotham Bixby Company donated the land for this park in 1948, while it was still in the County. It was annexed to the City of Long Beach in 1949. The conditions of the gift were that the park was to be named "Bixby Knolls Park," improvement was to start immediately, and a suitable marker was to be installed indicating the source of donation. On February 14, 1950, the development plan was approved by the City Council and, in June 1950, a contract was awarded for initial development. The park is improved with a playground, a picnic area and a small staff building. The playground was redeveloped with new equipment in 1998 with funding from the Los Angeles County Safe Neighborhood Parks Bond Act of 1992.