New Summer Youth ProgramsRelease Date: 2020-07-17
Parks, Recreation and Marine to Offer Additional Summer Youth Programs
Virtual Summer Camp, In-Person Nature Camps and Middle School Adaptive Camps
Start July 20
Due to the demand for safe summer enrichment opportunities, and the need for additional programs given recent closures announced by the Governor, the Department of Park, Recreation and Marine (PRM) has quickly put together additional programming, including a camp for people with special needs. Starting Monday, July 20, PRM’s “Recreation Reimagined” program will be expanded to include a free Virtual Summer Camp for children ages 5 to 12, in-person camps at El Dorado Nature Center for children ages 5 to 8 and an in-person ARISE (Adaptive Recreation in Special Environments) camp for middle school-aged kids.
Virtual Summer Camp
In order to offer another safe option for much needed education and entertainment, PRM staff has designed a virtual camp with many of the experiences offered at PRM’s in-person camps along with academic enrichment activities designed to minimize summer learning loss.
The free Virtual Camps will include real-time meets with recreation staff, dancing, art, trivia and much more within a six-hour period each day. The Virtual Camp will be offered to kids ages 5 to 12, from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. weekdays, July 20 through August 28. Registration is available at lbparks.org.
El Dorado Nature Center Summer Camps
Children between five and eight years old can join PRM naturalists at the Nature Center for fun and exploration, including hands-on activities, games and crafts. Sessions are from 10 a.m. to noon, weekdays, with a registration fee of $30 per week. Campers’ birthdays must be before August 31, 2014. There is a mandatory daily check in between 9:30 and 9:45 a.m. for sign-in and health checks. Each week has a different theme.
Wild About Art – July 20-24
Kids will create artistic masterpieces inspired by nature’s colors and textures.
Everything Birds – July 27-31
Discover the habitats, life cycles and adaptations of birds.
NC Gamers – August 3-7
Class No. 40994.
Unplug and construct and play nature-inspired games using our wildest ideas.
Everything Turtles – August 10-14
Class No. 40995.
Discover the world of turtles through their habitats, life cycles and adaptations.
Middle School ARISE Camp (adaptive)
PRM will offer a summer camp for middle school-aged ARISE (Adaptive Recreation in Special Environments) participants with recreational and enrichment activities. The camp will take place from noon to 3 p.m. on weekdays, July 20 through Aug. 28., at the Advocacy for Respect & Choice (AR&C) Facility, 4519 E. Stearns Avenue. The fee is $15 per week. The camp will follow day camp safety protocols and will offer a 1:5 staff-to-camper ratio.
***Registration will be taken on-site at AR&C. Those interested may call 562.440.2867 for more information.
Safety protocols for Nature Camp and ARISE, as well as all in-person PRM summer camps, include:
- Limiting the number of participants in each day camp
- Assigning campers to groups with no interactions between groups at the camp
- Maintaining no larger than 12:1 participant-to-staff ratio appropriate to the community center size (5:1 for ARISE)
- Implementing physical distancing protocols including during check-in and check-out
- Cleaning and sanitizing facilities multiple times each day
- Cleaning and sanitizing all high-touch areas frequently
- Requiring face coverings for participants and staff
For the latest information on COVID-19, with details on all that the City of Long Beach is doing to keep our residents safe, visit: longbeach.gov/COVID19 and follow @LongBeachCity on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.
- ENGLISH: Due to the level of urgency and frequently updated information, the City of Long Beach is using Google Translate to share COVID-19 information in multiple languages.
- SPANISH: Debido al nivel de urgencia y la constante actualización de información, la Ciudad de Long Beach está utilizando Google Translate para compartir información de COVID-19 en varios idiomas.
- KHMER: ដោយសារកម្រិតនៃភាពអាសន្ន និងការវិវត្តន៍ពត៌មានទាន់ហេតុការណ៏ ទីក្រុងឡុងប៊ិចកំពុងប្រើប្រាស់ កម្មវិធីបកប្រែហ្គូហ្គល ដើម្បីចែករំលែកព័ត៌មានស្តីពីវីរុស COVID-19 ជាច្រើនភាសា។