El Dorado Nature Center to Offer Nature Detectives After School Camp ProgramRelease Date: 2020-09-14
Long Beach, CA - Long Beach Parks, Recreation and Marine (PRM) is offering an after school camp program, called Nature Detectives, at El Dorado Nature Center (7550 E. Spring St.) beginning in October. The program, for children ages 5 to 10, will adhere to lower staff-to-camper ratios and other enhanced safety protocols.
Designed to ignite an interest in nature through hands-on activities, Nature Detectives will follow a curriculum that corresponds to grade-level content standards for elementary-aged students. Through observational skills and guided research, campers will make new discoveries while exploring the trails to answer some of nature’s most curious questions.
The four-week camps cost $80 per participant and begin the week of Oct. 6. Starting Tuesday, Sept. 22, people will be able to register for the camps online or in person from 8:30 a.m. to 4 p.m. at the El Dorado Nature Center. Registration will continue until camps fill or Oct. 6, whichever comes first. Enrollment must correspond with the participant’s current grade level, and their birthday must be before Sept. 2, 2015.
All sessions will take place at El Dorado Nature Center from 2:30 p.m. to 4 p.m. The sessions are scheduled as follows:
- Kindergarten and first grade, Tuesdays, October 6,13, 20 and 27
- Second and third grade, Wednesdays, October 7,14, 21 and 28
- Fourth and fifth grade, Thursdays, October 8,15, 22 and 29
Safety protocols include:
- Health screenings for participants and staff.
- Limiting the number of participants in each camp.
- Maintaining a 10:1 participant-to-staff ratio.
- Implementing physical distancing protocols, including at check-in and check-out.
- Cleaning and sanitizing facilities multiple times each day.
- Cleaning and sanitizing all high-touch areas frequently.
- Requiring face coverings for participants and staff.
In addition to this program, PRM offers a low-cost, parks-based after school program for children ages 5 to 12.
For additional information about Nature Detectives and other after school programs, residents may call 562.570.3150 or visit longbeach.gov/park/.