The City of Long Beach Department of Parks, Recreation and Marine’s Park Division is offering an engaging and educational internship program. In which, community college, college undergraduate, graduate students and recent graduates can apply traditional academic classroom learning into real-world work experience within a local government parks agency, to develop technical skills for career development. The internship goal is to provide interns with the following opportunities:
- Gain practical experience in the parks and recreation industry.
- Understand the impact of park and recreation infrastructure and services to the community and how the agency operates in a municipal government setting.
- Understand the duties and responsibilities of parks & recreation jobs and career paths in the industry.
- Become involved in activities that will develop professional skills and foster professionalism.
- Determine professional strengths and areas in which to grow/improve.
- Develop an understanding of the organizational environment and administrative procedures.
This 12-week paid internship provides a rewarding and valuable experience for those seeking introductory work experience, and/or college credit.
Applicants must be a student enrolled in a community college program, undergraduate program, graduate program, or recent graduate pursuing a degree in park/recreation administration, business or public administration, planning, landscape architecture, urban design, geography, community engagement, marketing/communications, and/or similar relevant majors, and have a GPA of 3.0 or higher.
The Department is looking for applicants with the following qualifications:
- Are motivated self-starters, able to flexibly work independently and work effectively in a team environment.
- Have humility and a desire to work on a variety of assignments, from daily tasks to high priority park projects.
- Have a basic understanding of parks and recreation operations, programs or community outreach strategies.
- Can conduct basic office functions as needed, such as data entry, file management, and customer service and have competency in various computer software programs, including Microsoft Office and Internet applications, ArcGIS, Adobe Acrobat Pro, etc.
- Can provide support to a small team of staff, potentially including assisting staff at community meetings.
- Preferred: Can speak one of the City’s language access languages (Spanish, Khmer, Tagalog).
INTERNSHIP PAY, SCHEDULE & LOCATION
Interns will receive $15 an hour for 20 hrs. a week, for 12 weeks.
The internship time commitment is 20 hours per week. Specific internship schedules will be determined upon internship offer, but will be routine week to week between Mondays - Thursdays 8:00 am – 5:00 pm.
Internship schedule will be determined and based on interns schedule
Interns will work at the Department offices at El Dorado Park and may have periodic fieldwork at City Hall or any of the City’s 170 parks.
For additional questions, please contact: Meredith.Reynolds@longbeach.gov: