| || || || |
Area residents now have a convenient, one-stop venue for safely and properly disposing their household hazardous, universal and electronic wastes. The new Los Angeles County Environmental Collection Center is located at EDCO Recycling and Transfer, 2755 California Ave., Signal Hill.
The public/private partnership that planned and built the new Center included the City of Long Beach, City of Signal Hill, Los Angeles County Department of Public Works, Sanitation Districts of Los Angeles County and EDCO Disposal.
This new Collection Center will be open the second Saturday of each month, 9:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m., beginning Saturday, March 9, 2013.
Free and convenient, area residents will no longer need to stockpile their household hazardous waste for six months or a year waiting for the next regional household hazardous roundup. The Environmental Collection Center will accept a maximum of 15 gallons per car, per visit, including the following items:
The Center will not accept:
- Cleaners, bleach, drain openers, floor and furniture polish, spot removers
- Oil- and water-based paint, thinners, solvents, furniture strippers
- Disposable batteries, fluorescent bulbs and tubes
- Garden pesticides, insecticides, and chemical fertilizers
- Pool chemicals
- Used motor oil and filters, car batteries and automotive fluids
- Home-generated sharps and medicines
- Electronic waste, such as cell phones, computer monitors and televisions
Helpful tips for preparing and safely transporting household hazardous waste:
- Business-generated waste
- Ammunition, explosives, radioactive materials
- Biological waste
- Bulky items such as refrigerators, washing machines, conventional ovens
For more information, visit www.longbeach-recycles.org or call the City’s Recycling Hotline at 562.570.2876.
- Pack in cardboard boxes so that wastes do not spill during transport
- Be prepared to leave your containers and boxes at the Collection Center
- Put like chemicals together; separate unlike chemicals
- Label materials that are not in their original containers
- Make sure containers are not leaking and lids are tightly sealed
- Empty your car trunk, then load into your trunk the boxes of materials you’ve prepared for drop-off
- Trained personnel at the Collection Center will ask you to remain in your car while they remove your household hazardous waste from your trunk
| || || |