News Details
All Fireworks - Illegal in the City of Long Beach
Long Beach
Police Department

Media Relations
400 W. Broadway
Long Beach, CA 90802
(562) 570-5273

Anthony W. Batts, Chief of Police


Subject :

Contact : Media Relations    (562) 570-5273

With the 4th of July holiday fast approaching, the Long Beach Police and Fire Departments would like to remind residents and visitors that all fireworks, including those branded "Safe and Sane," are illegal in the City of Long Beach.


The Long Beach Police Department will be actively enforcing laws regarding the possession of all types of fireworks, including sparklers.  Anyone cited or arrested for fireworks violations may be faced with a $1,000 fine, sentenced to jail for six months, or both.  The fines and penalties may increase depending on the classification of the fireworks.  The beaches from Shoreline Drive to the end of the Peninsula will be heavily patrolled, and collection bins will be located at Police Headquarters, all police sub-stations and Lifeguard Headquarters where fireworks can be voluntarily disposed.


The Long Beach City Ordinance, which bans fireworks, was adopted more than 40 years ago and is stricter than ordinances in many surrounding cities.


The public is also reminded that the law strictly prohibits the consumption of alcoholic beverages on public property, and appropriate action will be taken against anyone in violation.  Municipal and Penal Code sections in regards to under-age drinking and/or unlawful possession of alcohol will also be strictly enforced.


Each year within the City and across the country, individuals, including children, are seriously injured and burned as a result of fireworks usage.  Therefore, taking advantage of one of the many licensed and controlled professional public firework displays in the City of Long Beach or in surrounding communities is strongly encouraged.  Check your local newspaper or visit for information regarding firework demonstrations.

This information is preliminary and has not been completely verified.  It is based in part on hearsay and is intended for early information use rather than being a formal investigative report.  This information is available in an alternative format by request to Community Relations Division at (562) 570-7215.